• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Few Random thoughts/Q's about recently installed 3.5"

Vanquish

NAXJA Forum User
Yup finally got around to installing the pile of stuff onto my XJ(Rubicon Express 3.5", PORC SYE.)

In the process there were some things that bothered me, not real problems, but just...wtf.

The spacers that RE gives you for the bottom of the sway bar links are only drilled to 3/8". The splined bolt you have to remove, and the new bolt they supply are both 1/2". Wtf?

The RE1600 track bar uses a 5/8" bolt, but the bracket that it says must be used with it, only has a 1/2" hole. Another wtf?

The PORC SYE doesn't come with driveshaft bolts. I had to rob them from my front shaft and drive around 2WD for the first 3 days of having my lift. Then had to spend $10 on 4 bolts from the dealer. Weak.

All I've done is drilled all this stuff out to proper sizes, if I was wrong in doing this somehow please let me know.

I'd post pics for you guys, but small electronics have a short life span around me.

not sure on the spacers, the trac bar frameside bracket must be drilled out to 5/8ths. where u buy the kit? national4wd?

Yeah I got the kit, and the track bar bracket from N4WD, nothing else as they are usually enjoying scrotum when they should be helping you. But by bracket I meant the actual RE1665 track bar bracket. The one THEY make for use with this track bar, had the wrong hole size :/

Not to complain or anything. It's just the fact I've had all these parts for a year, and did every little bit of research I needed to, but never read any of this...

So atleast it's here now, not likely the search could ever find it amongst all the other random crap, but...

edit: I mean the N4wd in Burlington, ON. Never met the folks in BC.

Last edited:
Van, the 1600 does not use that track bar brace... it requires you to drill out your factory mount to 5/8" and run the heim in single shear. This setup is shit, I've killed two heims in one year. I plan to rebuild the bracket and running a johnny joint from currie to fix this abortion of a track bar

Mine uses it now :) I'm happy I can't peak the joint on the frame end now. It just sucks because the bracket had a real nice coating on it, and I had to screw it up.

Another thing is RE's coils are coiled in such a way you can't re-use the coil retainer clips...

Another thing is RE's coils are coiled in such a way you can't re-use the coil retainer clips...

Im assuming your talking about the clip holding the spring in place on the axle itself? because mine definitely works great, its the reason i dont lose my springs all the time!!

Yes, that clip. The coils were double stacked in that spot because of the coil they wind on to make the bottom flat. I have no sway bar disconnects yet anyway so I don't see it coming out. Plus I have no bumpstops yet, and I love my fenders far too much to go wheeling right now.

Back