• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Routing wires for roof-mounted accessories...

xL8 APEKSx

NAXJA Forum User
I'm afraid to do this, because I don't know how! It looks like I have to cut a hole in the roof of my Jeep! :(

What's the easiest way to do this, and what all do I have to remove interior-wise? I need to run 2 coax cables and a few wires from the roof into the cabin for power and switches. Has anyone done this? Any pics or anything? I'm leary but I think it's the only way to do it. Suggestions appreciated!

i ran 4 lights up there no problem. just drill a small hole right next to the roof rack on the driver's side and feed the wires in. just move the headliner and pull the wires through then down the A pillar. seal up the hole with silicone when you're done. i never had any leaks.

I did this exact thing a while back on my old jeep. Mine was a 97 but if you look at the passengers side A-pillar(between the front and back door) there is a grommet with nothing going through it. I ran the wire through that grommet and down through the A-pillar and then under the molding along the kick panel. In my opinion it looked very clean the only downside was that I had to drill a 1/2" hole in the interior side of the pillar to fish the wires through. Also a good touch was go get some of that plastic wire wrap they use on trailer hitch wiring to put around your wiring to kind of clean it up/protect it. I also liked this b/c when you use grommets you dont have to worry about any uneccessary water getting inside of the jeep

You should set up NMO Type antennas. They use the roof as a ground plane but its a rather large hole.

What's the process for removing the headliner?

Well, it seems my roof already has 2 holes in it that have been sealed with grommets and silly-cone. My Jeep was a Fire Dept. car in Utah before I bought it, and it apparently had a light bar mounted.

I bought a Haynes manual, so hopefully I can remove the necessary interior trim without destroying it. I usually get impatient with stuff like that, and if there's one or two screws left over that I can't find, I just yank until said trim piece breaks free.

Re-installation is then somewhat of a problem. lol.

Just got back from the store...armed with silly-cone and ready to rock. Just need to figure out what the hell I'm doing. :)

I did this exact thing a while back on my old jeep. Mine was a 97 but if you look at the passengers side A-pillar(between the front and back door) there is a grommet with nothing going through it. I ran the wire through that grommet and down through the A-pillar and then under the molding along the kick panel. In my opinion it looked very clean the only downside was that I had to drill a 1/2" hole in the interior side of the pillar to fish the wires through. Also a good touch was go get some of that plastic wire wrap they use on trailer hitch wiring to put around your wiring to kind of clean it up/protect it. I also liked this b/c when you use grommets you dont have to worry about any uneccessary water getting inside of the jeep
How did you get the wires from the roof to that grommet? :huh:

Back