• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spare tire cover

Rod Knee

NAXJA Forum User
Not sure which forum this question goes but here it is. I'm looking for a good tire cover that will not tear/fail at highway speeds. The last one I bought lasted about 50 miles. My spare tire is roof mounted (so we are dealing with mod tech). At this point I'd rather spend to much than too little, but I am hoping to not have to spend more than about 40 bux.

Any recommendations?

You should be constantly be rotating the tires anyway(if your worried about UV exposure).That promotes better tread wear/life and even age(specially heat tempering).

Perhaps I should elaborate. Its my assumption that a tire sitting flat on top of the vehicle is going to be far more vulnerable to UV radiation than the tires that are mounted to the wheels, which are shaded by the vehicle half the time and take sunlight at much more of an angle. I could be wrong of course.

No, you're right, and if you leave it there year-round it will at least fade the sidewall.

(How do I know? I didn't rotate the spare on my tow rig, just left it flat in the bed. But it did take 24 months to fade, and I don't think it's actually hurt the tire yet...)

But if you're rotating it in, each tore will only spend 20% of the time on the roof, so the effect is cut by 80%.

And at that point I wouldn't bother with a cover. You'll rotate em for ten years before one spend 24 months on the roof...

I know my tires don't last that long anyway!

Robert

Edit: I didn't really answer your question either. To get something that'll survive a 75 mph headwind, I'd go to to an upholstery shop and get somthing sewn up out of the vinyl they use for tonneau covers...

Last edited:
Back