• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

PCM master reset = BAD MPG!!

rehberg79

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so I did the "Master Reset" after I put a new exhaust and cat on the XJ. First tank sence and I'm at 125 mi at 3/4 of a tank. Lucky gas is the cheapest it's been in 3 years. Dose anyone know how long this goes on, does it get better?

Mat

I bet you damaged an oxygen sensor.

Damage by the reset? The lower O2 is new, installed after the exhaust. The upper wasn't touched.... I hope there ok, there's no CEL.

Mat

How did you clear? I hear the best way is to disconnect both leads from the battery and touch them together. And then leave them both disconnected from the battery and go and turn the key to "start" for a few seconds. Then reattach battery cables, start it up and let it idle for awhile.

Damage by the reset? The lower O2 is new, installed after the exhaust. The upper wasn't touched.... I hope there ok, there's no CEL.

Mat

No I thought you may have damaged the O2 sensor when you changed the cat. You might want to put the old O2 sensor back on and see if the gas mileage returns.

I had to replace the lower O2 because the old one was not coming out, so theres not swapping them.

The reset will erase the "Adaptive Memory" stored in the PCM and allow new memory to be developed.

Heres the link for the how to and to what it does: HERE or HERE
Another link with the same procedure says that "Once your engine has gone through 50 warm-up cycles in at least a 500-mile distance the PCM adaptive memory is set. It WILL NOT Change unless you flash it out and start all over again.." Im pretty sure I dont have 50 starts on it yet and I dont have 500 mi.
I hope thats what Im waiting for.

Mat

Last edited:
The post cat O2 sensor doesn't affect fuel mileage, only checks the efficiency of the cat.

Only the o2 sensor on the downpipe regulates fuel mixture.

Good to know, thanks!

I had to replace the lower O2 because the old one was not coming out, so theres not swapping them.

The reset will erase the "Adaptive Memory" stored in the PCM and allow new memory to be developed.

Heres the link for the how to and to what it does: HERE or HERE
Another link with the same procedure says that "Once your engine has gone through 50 warm-up cycles in at least a 500-mile distance the PCM adaptive memory is set. It WILL NOT Change unless you flash it out and start all over again.." Im pretty sure I dint have 50 starts on it yet and I dint have 500 mi.
I hope thats what I'm waiting for.

Mat

Well I don't know then. I've reset mine several times and it never effected gas mileage, at least not noticeably. I'd like to know what it was if you figure it out though.

Ok so I did the "Master Reset" after I put a new exhaust and cat on the XJ. First tank sence and I'm at 125 mi at 3/4 of a tank. Lucky gas is the cheapest it's been in 3 years. Dose anyone know how long this goes on, does it get better?

Mat

What year is it?

96 and up has a relearn procedure you need to follow right after the reset.

Mat

Since the gas gauge isn't terribly accurate, I would wait until you refill then divide miles/gallons. Besides 125 miles on 1/4 tank sounds pretty good to me. What kind of mpg do you normally get?

So what on earth does turning the headlight on/off in the procedure do? It's not like the engine computer knows when they get turned on/off.

I don't know for sure but these computer & sensor networks are getting pretty darn smart. It affects alternator load, battery system voltage and possibly the back voltage on the ground wires. Perhaps the computer has an algorithm that senses those voltage changes and uses them in number crunching and making corrections.

What year is it?

96 and up has a relearn procedure you need to follow right after the reset.

It's a '99, do you know the procedure to relearn?

Mat

Since the gas gauge isn't terribly accurate, I would wait until you refill then divide miles/gallons. Besides 125 miles on 1/4 tank sounds pretty good to me. What kind of mpg do you normally get?

It was @ 125 mi on 3/4 of a tank. I'm normaly around 180 mi on 3/4.

Back