• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stock roof rack pulled out...

Muddy Beast

NAXJA Forum User
Came home from wheeling this weekend with my hi-lift on my roof rack, and noticed my rack rails seem to have pulled out from trees grabbing my hi-lift or something. Can I remove my roof rack completely? And what can I used to plug the holes?

Also, if your rack pulls out, how do you put everything back in? It seems theres plastic pieces that fit inside a rubber grommet that the torx screw into...but I can't get them back in.

~Scott

Mine yanked out on my 89 when hauling a canoe. I guess the rubber well plugs (expanding plugs) wear out over time. I got new rubber well nut plugs and decided to remove my useless factory rack. You can use plug the hole with plastic hole plugs from most of any parts store. they were either 3/8s or 1/2 inch. I cannot remember. I used a little sealant on the plugs before installing them.

Hmm...yeah I don't plan on keeping the pointless rack...I was considering just filling the holes with silicon, but I suppose a plug and then silicon would be a good idea.

~Scott

The factory has an upgrade for your anchors. Also used on later XJ.
Lots of body flex going on when offing. Try using bungee to hold down anything on top. Ropes and straps don't give much when flexing and will pull rail right out.
Gutter mounted racks have been known to damage the gutter and/or themselves if not built for HARD offing.

The factory has an upgrade for your anchors. Also used on later XJ.
Lots of body flex going on when offing. Try using bungee to hold down anything on top. Ropes and straps don't give much when flexing and will pull rail right out.
Gutter mounted racks have been known to damage the gutter and/or themselves if not built for HARD offing.

I plan on getting an Olympic 4x4 tophat roof rack (Necessary in the NW). I tried plugging the holes yesterday...but I did a horrible job with the silicon and got plugs too small, but I tried anyways...hah

~Scott

Back