• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Coil Bucket Locations

Starboard M

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I am most likely over thinking these things, but bear with me for a second.

I am doing a front 44 swap, narrowed to waggy width, with TnT truss, etc, etc.

Unfortunately the TnT truss makes the track bar rather short, so I was planning on taking the axle side track bar mount off, and making a new that mounts farther off to the pass. side.

Here is a pic of the mount provided on the TnT truss, taken front Caged94XJ:
fmnwxi.jpg

I was going to just take the mount off, and make a new one farther over. That puts it in the coil bucket, and I had the novel idea of simply flipping the coil buckets to the other side.

I was all set to do this, and then my Dad reminded me that that would change the coil location, and coil angle.

Let me see if I can explain this.

-Stock coil location, and the coil buckets provided with the TnT truss, mount the coil forward 2'' centered from the center of the axle tube.
012.jpg

-I want to flip the coil bucket plates, which would put the coil 2'' behind the axle tube.
013.jpg

-Or, center the coil spring over the axle.
014.jpg

Assuming I keep the wheelbase the same, this will effect my coil angle, moving it from about a 10* angle from vertical, to something that will be closer to 0*.

Is that going to cause problems, or is that fine and dandy?

You may have to cut the upper bump stop "post" and bend it back toward the cab a little and then reweld it. I believe Jes had to do that and so did I on the last build. Other than that, I wouldn't see much of a problem.
Billy

PS - Nice shoes skater boy. :cheers:

I am most likely over thinking these things, but bear with me for a second.

I am doing a front 44 swap, narrowed to waggy width, with TnT truss, etc, etc.

Unfortunately the TnT truss makes the track bar rather short, so I was planning on taking the axle side track bar mount off, and making a new that mounts farther off to the pass. side.

Here is a pic of the mount provided on the TnT truss, taken front Caged94XJ:
fmnwxi.jpg

I was going to just take the mount off, and make a new one farther over. That puts it in the coil bucket, and I had the novel idea of simply flipping the coil buckets to the other side.

I was all set to do this, and then my Dad reminded me that that would change the coil location, and coil angle.

Let me see if I can explain this.

-Stock coil location, and the coil buckets provided with the TnT truss, mount the coil forward 2'' centered from the center of the axle tube.
012.jpg

-I want to flip the coil bucket plates, which would put the coil 2'' behind the axle tube.
013.jpg

-Or, center the coil spring over the axle.
014.jpg

Assuming I keep the wheelbase the same, this will effect my coil angle, moving it from about a 10* angle from vertical, to something that will be closer to 0*.

Is that going to cause problems, or is that fine and dandy?

You may have to cut the upper bump stop "post" and bend it back toward the cab a little and then reweld it. I believe Jes had to do that and so did I on the last build. Other than that, I wouldn't see much of a problem.
Billy

PS - Nice shoes skater boy. :cheers:

We were mainly just worried about the suspension having to travel forward and then up when going under compression.

Sounds like its not a problem then.

Don't move the Track Bar bracket. I am running the TNT setup with there track bar mount on JK axles. It works perfect. No Bumpsteer, No Steering stabilizer, No Swaybars, and I can cruise down the freeway at 75 with no hands on the wheel. I have 7" of lift and 35s.

DSC03962.jpg

My plan is to do this thing right the first time, so Im ok with doing just a little bit more work. Besides, its to late to turn back now!:greensmok

003.jpg

004.jpg

My plan is to do this thing right the first time, so Im ok with doing just a little bit more work. Besides, its to late to turn back now!:greensmok

So what is wrong with the shorter track bar? If it is at a good angle, like TNT places it there is no problem with the length. I don't think you need to go through all the extra work, but what do I know.

So... how'd it turn out?
Billy

Skater boy had to go back to school.

I ended up ordering a 7/8'' heim for the axle end, and a JJ for the frame side of the trackbar. I got the axle in place, the frame side trackbar mount mocked up, and then I had to leave.

I started out putting the coils in the center of the axle, and had to move it back a couple inches to get everything space on the axle end.

I do have a question though. Is it better to have the track bar that is as long as possible, or have it be as close to the same length as the drag link

Back