• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

U joint or CV.

go1lum

NAXJA Forum User
What do you feel is stronger to have in the front axle. My ZJ had cv shafts and they just seemed stronger. Which is stronger and more reliable.

I just swapped in cv front axle shafts, and will be durabilty testing them this weekend at Hot Springs. Let you know how they hold up next week.

I'm sure Nick will chime in: He's been running ZJ CVs for years, and beating em pretty hard.

If it was a lesser man, I'da called him a liar.

Robert

cv shafts are stronger on a locked axle when you have the wheel cranked, (they dont loose strength in lateral motion)
U-joints you will sometimes bind the shaft at full lock if your on the gas, but when strait they are much stronger, Iv ran both, broke both and i run u-joint axles now and have gotten away from the cv's, only nice thing about cv's is when they break you can drive them off the trail and they wont wipe out your ball joints,

I dont have that problem and more, i run alloys and ctm's, id never turn back to those now either.. my 2c

One of the guys here used to desert race his XJ with a trussed D30 he said that he had to change u joints every race but since he got CVs for the Dturdy he didnt complain. Of course these were not CTMs or even cromo joints.

I heared its better using CVs for high speed steering

only nice thing about cv's is when they break you can drive them off the trail and they wont wipe out your ball joints

That's the part that entices me, that'd be great peace-of-mind. But since I don't wanna give up my vacuum-disco, I can't get CV shafts anyway...

Robert

well who am i to judge my front axle shafts have some sort of old ass birfield type joint in them...

Back