• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Suggestions??

idahjo

NAXJA Forum User
'Had a strange happening today with the electrical system on my '98XJ. Was making a 35 mile trip to Coeur d Alene and the 'check gages' warning came on. The voltage gage was pegged at 19volts. After about 2 minutes warning light went out and gage dropped to 14volts (about where it normally resides). Continued about 5 miles further and same thing happened again, returning back to 14volts. It has remained operating normally for maybe the next 50 miles and was still working properly when reaching home.
I stopped at the Chrysler shop while there and told the service department rep what had happened and he said, if there was no 'check engine' warning there would be no error code registered, and as it was working properly now just keep an eye on it.

What the heck... anyone had something like this occur with them? Gremlins maybe...
THANKS in advance :0)

maybe your alternator/regulator is going but im not sure how to check for that

i had a similar problem with pegging at 19v and check gauges light in my 2001 along with a bunch of other problems when the CPS was being faulty. the pegging only occured twice though, but other symptoms such as rough start/idling/running finally lead to the CPS change. just a consideration

Sounds to me like you may have the start of an alternator problem OR a connection problem related to the alternator. I always start by freshening electrical connections (including all grounds) for symptoms like this. Then monitor it closely.

If the CEL came on, there will be a trouble code stored
regardless if the light is still on or not. The code needs to
be read, and I'd suspect it'll indicate a charging system
malfuction (obviously), indicating the regulator going bad.

If I'm not mistaken, the voltage is regulated by the ECM
in your model.....

He stated that the "check gauges" warning came on, not the check engine light. Different monitoring system and triggering events for that....
Oops, my mistake. I wasn't aware of a 'check gauges' warning
on our Jeeps.
Would my 96 OBD II have it?

Problem just resurfaced again. I (thought) it was the air conditioner compressor clutch as it apparently had happened when the defroster was on/compressor running. Disconnected the compressor and it did not re-occur for a couple months. Really thought I had it isolated** It seems to happen when I go through a certain area of Hwy#95... suspect something eery, like in the Bermuda Triangle ;)
I was told when it happens to feel the alternator to see if it is noticibly hot, (shorted diodes) it was not. 'Ck Gages Lt' went out and gage dropped to normal the instant I stepped on the brake pedal to slow down. I am wondering if maybe it is a defective gage or sensor!

Carry a voltmeter and try to verify on the battery posts when it happens again.

I assume an over-voltaqe (Plus+ terminal to ground) at the time of default would pretty much confirm the alternator as the culprit?

IF I had to replace one item on a 'guess', it WOULD be the alternator.

Thanks!

I know this won't help - but it's really cool to watch......

Hold down the tripometer reset button and turn the key to ignition..... Sit back and watch the show!!

Who knows, it might show something.....:dunno:

I know this won't help - but it's really cool to watch......

Hold down the tripometer reset button and turn the key to ignition..... Sit back and watch the show!!

Who knows, it might show something.....:dunno:

'Trying to solve a problem, not create one... (?)

I assume an over-voltaqe (Plus+ terminal to ground) at the time of default would pretty much confirm the alternator as the culprit?

IF I had to replace one item on a 'guess', it WOULD be the alternator.

Thanks!

My GUESS would be "NO, NOT THE ALTERNATOR". Bad alternators make too little voltage or none. The alternator is not being regulated properly. It's either the regualtor (PCM) or the wiring in between. Which means probably wiring or connectors. Which means probably connectors.

Back