• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaking AX15

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
ok... my AX 15 is leaking for the past 3 months..... first my loss of on the order of 4~6oz per month, now I'm looking at close to 12oz this past month. This is definately not good! I know it's not leaking from the seam at the bottom (the big one where the two halves come together, kind of directly over the tranny mount/crossmember... ok. over and towards the front).

I will still have to check it from the top to make sure that check valve is not doing something funky, but I have a bad feeling that's not it.....

So couple questions:
1. Any other suggestions? I know clean it and look for the leak... but it's not that easy... when I drive a little it doesn't show and when I drive more it gets all so gunked up that I don't know where!

2. What should I expect to pay if it's only an issue of a seal or a gasket?? I know it's hard to estimate without seeing it and prices vary from area to area, but supposing that all it is, is a gasket or a seal that got old/worn/disintigrated and is leaking? I kind of need to know how much more into the hole am I gonna fall

Thanks
Kejtar

Also for cleaning.... this time I wanna spray it down with something and then just wipe it down...... which would be better? Engine cleaner? Carburator cleaner? brake cleaner? IIRC one or two of the above are a bit more aggressive... and I don't wanna dissolve nothing or eat away too much.... All I want is grime and oil and dust to go off...

Most shops will spray it down with brake cleaner.The shop I help out in uses it for about everything except carbs/TB/FI systems.
Even use it in the lube bay to clean the oil splashes from filter changes.
Wayne

Ok, I'm still compiling a list of things to check... someone metioned that there is a seal on top by the shifter that;s worth looking at as well....

Also, has anyone removed that vent valve from the top before??? I recall seeing a discussion where people talked about it being almost impossible to do without dropping little pieces of it... inside..

Kejtar

Back