• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bent D30?

saki669

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone have measurement specs for the D30? I want to see if mine is tweaked before I redo the broken gearing. Its a LP out of a 1998 TJ.

And I don't need a lecture about the LP, thanks.
I just want to get it fixed. If I win the lottery I'll build something else.

Why polish a turd?

Didn't he JUST ask you to spare the lecture?
But that would be no fun and totally out of character for me.:laugh3:

...and it was a short lecture.

Didn't he JUST ask you to spare the lecture?

Blazair is just happy that he will be the one polishing it when the gears arrive.

I'm concerned that I bent something because I am getting some funny tire wear on the driver's side inner tread. It could be an alignment problem, but I'd like check the housing also.

Anyone with actual advice?

Last edited:
If you're only wearing one tire you can pretty much rule out a traditional alignment. You could have a blown ball joint thats letting one knuckle sit uneven....or you may have a small enough tweak that can be fixed by installing offset balljoints. But due to the nature of a straight axel, the big wear factor from alignment will be toe in, and that will wear evenly on both sides.

what measurements do you want? I can drive the jeep to work tomorrow and and give you measurements from the ground to the bottom of the knuckle on each side and the ground to the pinion housing....but it'll be done with a Stanley tape measure....I don't have calipers anywhere near that big....which means you're gonna get pretty inaccurate measurements. If you have an alignment shop they can tell you how much one tire is out in camber/caster.....I always forget which is which.

what measurements do you want?

Don't bother with the tape measure. I appreciate the offer but what I am looking for are more factory specs. There are publications that body shops use that tell down to the MM what measurements "should" be, and that info is used to see how tweaked things are.
I was hoping someone had that info.

Eyeballing it from the front looks like the top of the tires are inward slightly compared to the bottoms, like it took a hard landing and bent the bottom of the axle ends up.

I think the tire wear is just an alignment problem. The distance between the bottom of the castle nut on the ball joint on each side of the axle to the ground is less than 1/8" difference between sides.

So the only remaining question is whether Blazair has enough strength to compress the crush sleeve.... I'm guessing no.....

So the only remaining question is whether Blazair has enough strength to compress the crush sleeve.... I'm guessing no.....
Blazair has the skillz to pay the billz.....there is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness.

We have the technology.

Eyeball it with a straight edge. Place a ruler or piece of straightness on the axle tubes and see if it tells you anything.

Last edited:
We have the technology.
zoloft.jpeg

Yes you do.....

All I wanted was a Pepsi.

i have no advise to offer other than take it to an alignment shop, ive they say your camber is off...

get a new axle.

i skyed my jeep out 14 feet in the air this past weekend and it also needs a gear job, but its so noticeably bent on the short side that im just gonna go ahead and grab a new to me housing from the junkyard on a rig that looks like the front end was not the cause of the jeeps retirement.

Back