• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Towing a XJ???

colorado99xj

NAXJA Forum User
Where can I attach tow straps to my 99 if I don't have tow hooks, need to tow car about 15 miles and would not rather have to use a tow truck.

Last edited:
Re: Towing XJ

To any part that you wish to have violently removed. It is possible to yank off the bumper or to detach aa axle control arm bracket with a tow strap. Rent a tow dolly.

Last edited:
Is it 100% safe to wrap around the axle. Not at all. Can it be done if neccesary yes.

The video was completly useless. I guess they forgot since they were driving a Impreza that when you are towing it you can't try to drive a rally. That was ignorant.

If I had no other means of doing it I would. Just keep it at 5-10MPH and don't be a dumbass like those two were.

i've towed plenty of time with the strap around the axle. just have whoever is towing take it easy like they should anyway. you'll be`fine. Put the tcase in neutral and the tranny in neutral or park.

I also have towed with a strap around the axle, Not ideal, but be slow and careful, ONE TRICK to making it work, KEEP TENSION on the strap. If your being pulled with a strap use a two way radio/cell and be the brakes for the jeep towing you. the harsh jolt of being yanked from a stop is going to tear shit up underneath!

i've towed plenty of time with the strap around the axle. just have whoever is towing take it easy like they should anyway. you'll be`fine. Put the tcase in neutral and the tranny in neutral or park.

Ummm... NOT park for the tranny! Neutral.

Damn, that poor Subaru!

if you have the time, run a chain through a 6ft length of pipe, and hook that between the vehicles. keeps the towed vehicle from running into the tow vehicle, and also from running over the chain/strap.

hook to axles, or frame

If your XJ is a '99, you can't tow it on a dolly unless you remove the rear driveshaft. Read the manual. It must be flat towed with the TC in neutral and the tranny in park. Towing with a strap may be illegal in many states (especially 15 miles).

Fran

If your XJ is a '99, you can't tow it on a dolly unless you remove the rear driveshaft. Read the manual. It must be flat towed with the TC in neutral and the tranny in park. Towing with a strap may be illegal in many states (especially 15 miles).

Fran
My grandson towed his 2001 Jeep TJ with a tow dolly from California to Texas without any problems. :dunno: He didn't disconnect anything.
I would like to see what the newer XJ Owners Manuals really say about the towing.
I have posted what mine has in the operating manual about the 88's.XJ, which includes the auto and manual trans with the 231 and 242 TC.

wont make a difference, but, I have towed my XJ with another XJ by using a Strap, 108 miles total in one trip. it was NOT by the axle. I used my front tow points(shackles) And i've been towed from browns camp to Gresham (easily 70 miles) atleast 5 times in the last 8 months. Never had a problem, hell im still using the same strap. $20 at Fred meyer.

Back