• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

removing steering column

pabloconrad

NAXJA Forum User
Need to remove the covers on my 85s steering column to replace the ignition switch.

Have the steering wheel, indicator cam, and top cover, but cannot remove any farther due to wiring.

Do I need to remove the whole column to replace the switch?

If so, what bolt do I need to remove? This is quite the pain.

Thank you in advance.

are you replacing the ignition switch or the key/lock cylinder?

if its a gm column like my 89, you can get to the ignition switch by taking of the lower dash piece and the ignition switch is at the base of the column.

I don't know. I need to replace the switch. The key/lock cylinder I've done before but the gear assembly is damaged. The one that goes on the end of the cylinder is stripped. I'm taking it apart so I can replace that and also check for binding.

The cover seems to be hung up on something or held back. I wish I had a schematic/drawing of it so I can better judge how to take it apart.

I might just say to hell with it and jury-rig it so I can shut the battery off from the inside and start it with a push button. I'm moving to Seattle at the end of the year and I don't want to rent a van and tow it. I was hoping to use the Jeep to tow a moving trailer.

Why can't this be simple.

Thanks.

Why not simply replace the entire steering column with another used one? It's much easier than trying to "overhaul" an existing column.

I've got one in an '86 MJ that'd work for ya.

Back