• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clicking/Ticking from Tranny?

DanHfmn

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone had a clicking noise come from their tranny or maybe even the t-case?

When I slow down to stop, I can hear it clicking relative to the speed I'm travelling at. If I click it into nuetral it goes away. Nothing really changes in the t-case when you shift to neutral so I'm guessing maybe something in the tranny?

Front/Rear driveshafts are not the issue, i've removed both individually and the sound persists.

'01 XJ, 4x4, Automatic, np231

i would check the driveshaft ujoints. when in neutral it takes the load off the ujoints that may be why the sound goes away.

Well, like I said above, both driveshafts have brand new ujoints, and I've pulled them both individually and the noise was still there, no change.

have u checked the front and rear yokes for play, turned them by hand to check for roughness maybe a bearing, when u put it in nuetral, it will take the load off of the yokes

I am having the exact same problem right now. I thought it was the front driveshaft and pulled it. Nope, still there. I only feel/hear it at real slow speeds, especially turning in to the driveway.

01 XJ, Auto, NP231, 8.25" Rear RE 3.5" ACOS spacers in front

Last edited:
i have noticed mine does this when i am going like 55 then when i let off the throttle you will hear it tick/click and if you keep your foot on the peddle just right it will keep doing it. does anyone have any idea of what this is?

Back