• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Event stuff we need to talk about.......

Goatman

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
We had a great time out in JV, and it looked like everyone else did also. I see in the "carnage" thread there are some critical comments being thrown around, so I thought I'd respond to them in another thread to not mess up that one. It also give me a chance to respond to a comment that was made before the drivers meeting, and I wanted later to find the person who made that comment so we could talk, but I most likely found him here so I can make my comment.

The comment I'm referring to was made while we were waiting for folks to gather up for the drivers meeting, and the comment was "If those elitists over there would come over we could start this meeting".

nah dude it was cool, there were bottles of magic whiskey. The whiskey disappeared when you left it in camp, and left for a run in the morning. Not to mention all the elitists who look down their noses at those of us who get loud and rowdy.

I have a feeling it was because we were the younger, and maybe lower budget crowd. There was a guy there with a bitchin blue jeep, and I complimented his jeep/driving a couple times- got no response.

Well, there were others still walking over from around camp at that moment, and the gang he was referring to were standing around the front of Farmer Matt's jeep while he was putting power steering fluid in. Included in that group were Matt who was about to lead one of the runs that morning, and Dave Taylor and Paul Sinclair who also were about to lead a run that morning, and have led runs in previous JV events. That group also included Jes and Andy (Porch Puppy) who have led runs in previous events. Pretty much these are the guys who've led the runs every year.

I guess it needs to be said, but if the so-called "elitists" weren't willing to lead runs there couldn't be an event like this for everyone to come to and have a good time. Just because we're older, and we've been doing this for a long time, and have reached a point in our lives and careers where we can afford to spend a few bucks on our hobbie, doesn't make us "elitists". Especially when we could easily just go out there ourselves and wheel and have a good time. We put out the effort to organize a run like this, make the organizational efforts, lead the runs, cook the food, put together a raffle, etc, so everyone can have a good time and come wheel their junk.

Honestly, I'm offended by the comment and the attitude. Yes, we sold T-shirts to raise money for Team NAXJA. Maybe everyone doesn't appreciate that, but they don't have to buy a shirt. In past years the raffle proceeds went to Surprise Canyon, and we've donated $7000 to them from the last three events. Also, those "elitists" also donated $5000 out of our pockets to Surprise Canyon from the last three Best of the West trips, which was a small group vacation for us elitists and our friends.

My point is that we organized and led runs, both the hard runs and the easy runs, and we had fun doing. I just don't see that as elitist or looking down our noses at the younger, lower budget crowd, or those with less built rigs or less experince.

At my first Goatfest, which was my first JV trip, Goatman walked up and greeted me with a handshake, by name. We'd met in passing, once, two years prior. I was shocked that he remembered me.

I was massivly underbuilt for JV, Paul Sinclair offered me his passenger seat and later his drivers seat, giving me the full JV experiance. Paul had never met me before.

If that is 'elitest', elite me up and take away my party-all-night card.

*shrug*

Elitists???

Although I wasn't at this year's event, I was there last year.

I never saw anything/anybody that I would consider "elitists".

If there was, I either missed it or ignored it.

Bummer for the strife Richard. Personally, I think you ALWAYS throw a good event....and I been to more than one.

Dan.

Well said Richard.(we didnt offically meet, i was the blue XJ on jack with the low tranny fluid :D ) Thank you for a well organized event. It was my first goatfest and i had a blast. I wish i could have stuck around sat night but i had to split early.

I wanna say thanks to FarmerMatt for leading us up JackHammer sat. He was a great trail leader. After we did lunch at the top of jack ridge, the group continued down jack north, i needed to head back home so Matt led me to the the last 200 yards of sledge cus its the quickest way off the trail but definetly should not be done alone. Matt said to leave word with someone when i left so he knows i made it off. If not, he would head out to find me. I was about to pull out of camp when i saw Matt pull in... He pulled into his camp and jumped out and I could tell he was looking around for my rig. Once again, thanks for a good run. Looking forward to wheeling with you guys again :cheers:

-Mike

I am the only elitist in this group and I left before most of the minions showed

.!.:D.!.

Lord (and others) know some got a little upset when at after 7am we started playing music in OUR camp out on a dry lake bed for Our camp. And felt the need for it to be told to be turned down, cause that 1 hour left till all of us were spose to be pulling out of camp for a run. so that last hour must have been the prime hour for sleeping?

Hell we didnt get close eye till about 2 or ish and we were fine at 6:45am :yelclap:

its a big lake bed man.

Then why did you camp so close?

There's plenty of room out there for stupidity.

if you got a problem, move away till your happy.

i didnt come over to your camp complaining because it was boring and full or douchebags.

Honestly, when I think about it, 20 miles from the nearest town on a GOD forsaken dry lake bed IS the perfect place to make some noise.so f*#k it.

Our thoughts exactly. But all the Geritol Gerrys didn't agree with us.....

We all have different attitudes about noise, that's just the way it is. When we have a big group, we know we're going to have to put up with some noise, but it doesn't mean we have to like it. Again, us Geritol Gerry's are putting on this event so you young and loud guys can come out and wheel and have some fun with your friends partying. If one guy comes over and asks you to turn it down, that's not the whole group, that's one guy. No one here posted up about the noise complaining, but some of you who were loud until 3 am (yes, I was awake and it was 3 am and it was loud and I was at the opposite side of camp) have posted up complaining about some people being bothered.

If you're in main camp, or right next to main camp, then everyone who doesn't appreciate loud music or loud partying until early morning is going to have to put up with it. If you're going to do it and expect others to put up with it, then be men and put up with it if someone complains to you about it. You can't have it both ways.

If you don't want to bother other people, and you don't want to have to listen to a few complaints about it, then yes, it is a big lake bed, move further away. And c'mon, don't expect main camp to move away from you. Bottom line, if you're willing to have fun and be loud then don't get your panties in a bunch if a couple people complain to you about it.

It seems from reading some of these posts that the "younger, louder" crowd has less tolerence for the Geritol Gerry's than the Geritol crowd has for the younger crowd.

Can't we all just get along? :D (damn, sometimes we REALLY need flipoffsmileys)

Well I dont think the shirts were ever refered to, in any capacity. I think that is More then fair and as you know, I tried to order two, even. And even is Yellow, awck... That should not even be brought up. I would have bought more then my fair share to help and to own. Thats a to each thier own...

As for the term being thrown around, I sense that whole situation at times and there-for stick to the ones that I fit with better in this situation.

I thank you and I am sure many here would STILL thank you even if you were a huge prick, but you sir are the opposite! Still though that doesnt mean we dont get that feeling, and that we cant feel that way? Should it be addressed? Maybe? I feel that it should be addressed though back channel? and asked why that feeling is felt and if it really matters, then how can it be, or should it be fixxed?

I myself wont do a trail with the pure buggy's that were thier this weekend. It is due to past relations with some of them, not you richard, but its that crowd in general. Do I feel any ill towards "that" group, no. But that doesnt mean I have to put my melf or Jeep thing, within thier care in big rock, in a place I know nothing about. I picked a run where I knew a few and a few were more like me. It is unfortunat that a trail leader left us behind on numerous occations, but maybe he had reasons (didnt know he was doing so) and/or knew that it wouldnt matter, due to our resources.

We all have different attitudes about noise, that's just the way it is. When we have a big group, we know we're going to have to put up with some noise, but it doesn't mean we have to like it. Again, us Geritol Gerry's are putting on this event so you young and loud guys can come out and wheel and have some fun with your friends partying. If one guy comes over and asks you to turn it down, that's not the whole group, that's one guy. No one here posted up about the noise complaining, but some of you who were loud until 3 am (yes, I was awake and it was 3 am and it was loud and I was at the opposite side of camp) have posted up complaining about some people being bothered.

If you're in main camp, or right next to main camp, then everyone who doesn't appreciate loud music or loud partying until early morning is going to have to put up with it. If you're going to do it and expect others to put up with it, then be men and put up with it if someone complains to you about it. You can't have it both ways.

If you don't want to bother other people, and you don't want to have to listen to a few complaints about it, then yes, it is a big lake bed, move further away. And c'mon, don't expect main camp to move away from you. Bottom line, if you're willing to have fun and be loud then don't get your panties in a bunch if a couple people complain to you about it.

It seems from reading some of these posts that the "younger, louder" crowd has less tolerence for the Geritol Gerry's than the Geritol crowd has for the younger crowd.

Can't we all just get along? :D (damn, sometimes we REALLY need flipoffsmileys)

You can play music and have a great time without being obnoxious. It comes down to showing respect for others and a group.

You guys are right, maybe I imagined it. Must have been the fact that I was pretty much sober the whole weekend. You guys complain about the music in the middle of the night, but no one says anything about multiple generators running ALL night. For one, I can sleep through about anything- and did. But Saturday night when I went over the main campfire, and you guys were talking about hauling wine(I believe) to Paso Robles. I walked right up, and all I got were a few stink eyes. Last I checked, this was a Jeep Cherokee club, not an "Old vs. Young" or "Buggy vs. Full Body" club. Richard, I do thank you for the event, it was truly a lot of fun.

I walked right up, and all I got were a few stink eyes. Last I checked, this was a Jeep Cherokee club, not an "Old vs. Young" or "Buggy vs. Full Body" club. Richard, I do thank you for the event, it was truly a lot of fun.

Its the same way when an older guy walks up to a younger guys fire.

Next time bring a chair and sit down. After a few minutes someone usually offers you a beer and a place to jump into the conversation.

*shrug*

I am new to NAXJA and this was my first time at Goatfest and was greeted with nothing but kindness. I never had a sense that some of the guys were "elitist" at all, in fact they gladly talked about their rigs and Farmer Matt was cool enough to allow me to ride along on the Jack run with him on Saturday, which was awesome thank you again! One tip I would offer to everyone that I learned over the years camping/wheeling with an extreme snorer is to bring some earplugs! I slept like a log and was just barely able to hear all the youthful exuberance on the other side of the camp. I agree though that if you are with a large group and you want to get your heat on and party all night, which I am all for, it is common courtesy to do that at a distance. Richard, it was a pleasure meeting you and look forward to finishing my rig so I can customize my body courtesy of the JV rocks at next years fest!!

:peace:

Its the same way when an older guy walks up to a younger guys fire.

Maybe in theory, but not this weekend Cal. There were a few "normal" guys that came over to hang out. We welcomed them all. Overall, it was a fun weekend and I look forward to another one. Hopefully I'll have my damned jeep trail ready by then.

Guys, it really has nothing to do with "Elitism." If you want to know what Elitism really is, buy a Porsche 944 and then go hang out with the Rennlist crowd. This is NOTHING.

It's more a matter of what people expect to do for fun when they go on a "4 wheeling" trip. It comes down to maturity and respect.

Part of this group sees wheeling as a family outing. You bring your wife, the children, the dog.

The other part of this group sees wheeling as a Frat House in the dirt...you're there to get fucked up, and if you can get some off roading in before the hangover hits, you had a good time.

Now, which ever you prefer, I couldn't care any less. Truly.

But you should ALL be old enough and responsible enough to at least RECOGNIZE and RESPECT the fact that these two philosophies on off-roading excursions are different, and will sometimes mix like oil and water.

Having those two groups in the same place, at the same time, will cause DRAMA. Period.

Must have been the fact that I was pretty much sober the whole weekend.
That was me last year.

Sure made for a more enjoyable weekend.

I also camped way out and away from the main camp. We would walk into camp every once in a while, but pretty much stayed to ourselves at night.
(I just can't party like that anymore. That's a "young" mans sport)

Y...... But Saturday night when I went over the main campfire, and you guys were talking about hauling wine(I believe) to Paso Robles. I walked right up, and all I got were a few stink eyes. Last I checked, this was a Jeep Cherokee club, not an "Old vs. Young" or "Buggy vs. Full Body" club. Richard, I do thank you for the event, it was truly a lot of fun.

Bryce, did you introduce yourself or attempt to make conversation??
What were you expecting??

A few years back, I drove out to GoatFest all by myself without knowing anyone personally. I got there Thursday. When I walked up, they looked at me like, "Who are you?" After just talking with "them," one of them let me ride along on their Highway 20 run on Friday.

Think about it. When you do events as much as these guys do, you see A LOT of faces and it's impossible to meet and greet everyone who attends an event. If you hung around, I'm sure they wouldn't have minded if you talked about wine either.

Plus, you're not the guy who leaves the best first impressions.. ;) There's nothing wrong with that.. That's just you..

E

That was me last year.

Sure made for a more enjoyable weekend.

I also camped way out and away from the main camp. We would walk into camp every once in a while, but pretty much stayed to ourselves at night.
(I just can't party like that anymore. That's a "young" mans sport)

yeah... you were like a mile out and away from the main camp. I felt as though I need to hitchhike to make it back! ;)

With a big group in an area that's for the most part unregulated the following should be expected:
1. There are those that will be loud and obnoxious
2. There are those who will want peace and quiet
3. It will be loud
4. If you want peace and quiet either invest into some really good sleeping meds or ear plugs or camp away from the main camp where it will be peace and quiet.

Being in a middle of a camp you will get the full experience of what it means to have so many folks close together partying all night.

But you should ALL be old enough and responsible enough to at least RECOGNIZE and RESPECT the fact that these two philosophies on off-roading excursions are different, and will sometimes mix like oil and water.

Having those two groups in the same place, at the same time, will cause DRAMA. Period.[/quote]

Good statement. Its not hard for everyone to get along. When I pulled into the camp and the first thing I saw was trash all over the place, It instantly was disappointing. Yea it got cleaned up I am sure, but what would have happened if the wind kicked up? We just all need to use some common sense.

You can have huge groups camping with people parting all night, It can be kept in check easily. I have camped at Lucerne for a D-37 National, 100's of people of all ages, Yea the younger guy's party all night, but also respect the fact that some crash early and they just kick it down a few decibels and it's all cool. Just a respect thing.

Last edited:
:dunno: i had a great time, and i only left camp once to get stuck :D i wasnt out there to piss anyone off, and i had a great time.... at least i THINK i did. :cheers:

thanks everyone :D

Back