• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can i still use my carrier bearings?

88manche

NAXJA Forum User
I have 3.55 axles in my MJ right now. I have a set of 4.11's from my old jeep sitting in my yard. The rear axle in my jeep is 3.55 LSD, and the other one is 4.11 open. Both D35's.

So here's my question. Can i take my LSD carrier out, Take the 3.55 ring gear off, and then put my 4.11 ring gear on, put it in my 4.11 axle and not have to put new carrier bearings on it?

correct. the carrier break is 3.55, so you would need the 3.73 and up carrier. You can however just use the 4.11 carrier and either weld the gears or stick a lunchbox locker in there.

No, as stated the carriers are different, as well as the fact that you would need to set up the gears all over again because the shims behind the carrier bearings in the LSD carrier are for when the 3.55 gears were set up in the old axle, and can not be transferred. Every gear set up in each axle is completely different, and you can't just transfer stuff between two, the patterns will not match correctly.

Last edited:
Back