• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

231 bolt up???

kenny811

NAXJA Forum User
Will a 231 Tcase off a BA15 trany bolt right to an AW4? or will there need to be some modification?

Thanks
Kenny

Will a 231 Tcase off a BA15 trany bolt right to an AW4? or will there need to be some modification?

Thanks
Kenny

How many splines is your aw4? Also check whether the input/output shafts will matchup on the depth/length. IIRC the 231 from the ba15 will be 21 spline and your aw4 cane be either 23 or 21 splines and there were different shaft lengths throughout the years.

Remi beat me to most of it...

The BA-10 will have a 21-spline output, meaning it will need to be an early (1987-1990. 1991?) AW4 - count.

The input shaft will have to have the correct "stickout" for the AW4 - there were a couple of variations.

Note that if the AW4 you're using has a 23-spline output, you can swap the input gear on your NP231 to make it a 23-spline input by using an earlier (up to 1995 or so) input gear - you cannot use a later gear, while they do mesh, it's not a correct mesh - and you'll be draining your gear teeth with your first fluid change.

Novak Adapters (www.novak.com, I think) has a good information collection on conversions like this. It's not totally compleat, but it serves the purpose neatly for most people (I'm working on the "compelat" version, but it's taking time...)

Back