• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What to Do?

southernrebel20

NAXJA Forum User
I picked up an '87 Dana 44 today with the LSD. It's in great shape and complete from drum to drum. It's going under my '99. I searched about dana 44 installs and didn't see what I was looking for. I'm just wondering if those of you who have done this swap know of anything I should look out for or will it just bolt in? I read somewhere that the 44's yoke reaches out farther than the 8.25. True? If so, what can I do short of buying a custom shaft. I do not have an sye if that matters. Looks like the brake lines will be straightforward. All advice welcome!!

The D44 will bolt in. Install fresh seals at the minimum. The drives shaft may need to be lengthened. You don't need a custom shaft, any drive line shop can shorten or lengthen a shaft in just one day.

Measured from the center of each u-joint on the tube part of the drive shaft for 4.0L with AW4 and NP231.

29 spline 8.25 .... 27 7/8"
97 + D35 ........... 28 7/8"
1987 D44 .......... 29 5/8"

Back