• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help - rig is dying while driving.

Mdub

NAXJA Forum User
Here are the symptoms.

1. When filling the gas tank the pump shuts off every half gallon or so. It takes 10 minutes to fill because the nozzle thinks it's full.

2. The rig recently started dying while driving. No warning - just BOOM dead. I let it sit a few minutes, then it will fire back up and run for 1 to 20 minutes then it dies again.

Here is what I was thinking:
My guess is that the two symptoms are related and that my vent line is clogged. BUT, even if I remove the gas cap all together and allow the tank to vent, the thing still dies.

Ideas? The XJ and the motor are in excellent mechanical shape. The engine only has 30k miles on it and runs strong. I have not replaced to fuel filter or fuel pump.

Hi,
My money is on the CPS (Crankshaft position sensor) , mine is 93 and that went about 18 months ago so yours is the right age. I don't think it is fuel related. The symptoms of a dead and dying CPS is that it will cut out as the engine warms up and will not restart for 10 to 20 minutes. Maybe it's something else but it would not hurt to get it changed.

Hi,
My money is on the CPS (Crankshaft position sensor) , mine is 93 and that went about 18 months ago so yours is the right age. I don't think it is fuel related. The symptoms of a dead and dying CPS is that it will cut out as the engine warms up and will not restart for 10 to 20 minutes. Maybe it's something else but it would not hurt to get it changed.

Thanks for the idea. I don't think that is it though. When I put the new motor in about a year ago I replaced the CPS. Also, I've had a CPS go bad before and it behaved differently. However, I will not rule it out.

Im with you on emmison system related to fuel, but I dont know what to tell you to check for sure. one thing is fuel presure. you dont need to get a guage. for a simple test you can just unscrew the cap on the fuel rail and see if there is pressure or just a dribble when you press the bleeder valve.

Anyone else ever have this problem? How did you solve?

Back