• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine COLD for 9 months - what to DO???

NeXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hi - I haven't been on here in a WHILE! Almost two years, I'm sure. I've been registered since 1999 though.

Anyway - my 92 XJ (98 vintage HO engine) has been sitting DORMANT for about 9-10 months. The last time I tried to crank her, I had to keep my foot on the gas constantly to prevent the engine from dying (there were also some sparks coming from the relay contacts in the relay cage!). So - I've been a bit shy to try again since then. At any rate, I really need to get it into a shop to have the hydraulics redone (master & slave for the clutch) since that's why I haven't been driving...

ANYWAY - so I do understand that an engine that's been sitting awhile is a problem. What steps should I take before getting it hauled into the shop? Squirt oil in the cylinders? A friend told me the fuel in the cylinders will 'shellac' - or harden. SUGGESTIONS? Is there a good guide somewhere?

thanks much,
Jonathan

You could squirt a little MMO in each cyl. and let it sit a day or two then try it again. Best thing would be to prime the oil pump so you have some lubrication.
I'd be concerened about the sparks you mentioned. Try to find out what is causing it, would suck to burn up a harness.

Well- I'm going to have my mechanic take care of most of the issues - like the relay contact cleaning, etc... I just want to make sure it'll survive the vibration from the flatbed tow. It'll PROBABLY be fine. But I just thought perhaps I should do something with the cylinders or fuel system to start de-gumming.

See if there's any alien stuff living under your hood, they leave messes in there. Mice moved into my TJ in less than a week...

Back