• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

having TPS problems...

89cherokeexj

NAXJA Forum User
So my 89 4.0L Auto cherokee was having an idling problem. It would idel up around 1500 rpm when stopping at a stop sign, and when it was in park or nuetral it wouldbe over 2K RPM. So I replaced the TPS sensor. Now the Jeep diles fine and runs fine till I go to floor it, and it seems like it has no power. I put the TPS right back in the same spot. I dont understand what i could have done wrong, I'm lost. The transmission seems to be shifting wierd also, it goes through the gears way too fast...any suggestions???

I had similar problems with mine. Every time I fixed something, I would have other electrical problems and serious problems with the transmission shifting. There was no quick fix and it was very frustrating, but the guys on NAXJA gave me a ton of advice and eventually I got it (and all the other electrical problems) fixed. Click on my username and then select "find all posts by kj139". You can then go through some of the fixes the fellas sent my way. I wish I had a "it is this" answer, but...

Good luck!

Thanks guy's I got it, the reason was soo stupid, hAHAHAHA:doh:

My 89 did the same thing, after changing most all the sensors it ended up being the little screw behind the butterfly. The down side was every one I talked to said "dont mess with that screw" $150 bucks later I turned it out and the idle was fine. But I did learn how to adjust the TPS not real tricky. As a result of the high idle it over heated my motor and then it blew up. Up side is I have a brand new 4.0 on my stand ready to drop in. Good luck!!!

Ideally you shouldn't mess with the set screw but it can compensate for vacumn leaks elsewhere. Only time I've messed with it was after changing out the little pivot arm where the throttle cable attaches. I was swapping in an automatic tranny and had to replace it with one that had the extra post to attache the tranny cable. It idled really high after the swap and about 1/4-turn out fixed it.

Back