• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing doors...

are you talking about setting them up for "quick release" to be able to take them off with ease, or talking about taking them off for a prolonged period of time?

To just take the door off it is fairly simple, there are torx bolts on the inside of the door jamb on the door and then dont forget to unplug the connector for the wires that feed into the door. Also, there is a pin that needs to be removed from the door catch thing that prevents the door from opening too far and smashing into the fender. To make the 97 up doors quick release, I am not sure on that. I did it to my 93, but have not on my 98 yet.

yup haha. its cool IF you do it right. If i were you i would NOT remove them from the 6 bolts per side (the torx bits, 40mm i think, 3 per bracket), if you do that, the internal plates that the hinges bolt to will fall off inside the door. Then you're effed. Soooo if you want to see what i did....
DSCN0808.jpg

DSCN0809.jpg

Its not bad IF you do it right, if you dont they will sag b/c the one hinge is bigger than the other. But keep in mind, it takes extra time to do it right. (drilling out the holes and getting a properly sized pin)

If you use bolts, do not get threaded ones! If you can get ones that are like 1/2" thick, about 5" long, with just threading on the bottom 2", saw off the thread so you have just a solid bolt (essentially a "pin") and chop off ONE SIDE of the bolts head so you can fit it in past the door, then there ya go.

For the Hinges, you will have to drill them out to 2". THIS my friend, is NOT easy. the hinges on the door, loosen the torx, but dont remove them. Remove 1 its okay, remove 2 itll rotate (not good), remove three and the plate will fall into the door (REALLY not good).

For the reason that the frame side hinge cannot be accessed easily with a drill i would suggest drill out the door end hinges to 3/8ths IIRC, then 3/8ths bolts and use those and just drill out the door end hinges

few things in the pics,
#1, those are BOLTS, bad idea. THats why im changing it. The bolts bend easy and also the threads wear down so the essential diameter is decreased = more door sag
#2, see the bolt head in 2nd pic, thats what i mean by cut one end off. You will need to do this to be able to slide the bolts in.

Good luck! Screw this up and say good bye to taking girls anywhere in your jeep.

...the torx bits, 40mm i think... the internal plates that the hinges bolt to will fall off inside the door... If you use bolts, do not get threaded ones! If you can get ones that are like 1/2" thick, about 5" long... Screw this up and say good bye to taking girls anywhere in your jeep.

You, my friend, never cease to amaze me...

:worship:

Robert

Back