• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Will short ram intake make me fail emmisions or inspection in my 96 4.0?

Plays For Jeeps

NAXJA Forum User
My brother wrecked his nissan 350z and had the intake laying in the garage. I fabbed up some brackets and used a old K&N cone filter on the intake tube. My jeep is due for inspection and I was wondering if I would be better off putting the OEM intake box back on. Is there any reason for the inspection station to fail me for a intake mod?

Thanks.

My brother wrecked his nissan 350z and had the intake laying in the garage. I fabbed up some brackets and used a old K&N cone filter on the intake tube. My jeep is due for inspection and I was wondering if I would be better off putting the OEM intake box back on. Is there any reason for the inspection station to fail me for a intake mod?

Thanks.
I don't think it would, but id say better safe then sorry that is really not a test you want to fail.

Better to take it off and whack your brother over the head with it. Honestly idk, couldn't imagine it'd be a problem, but if it is just take it off and go back.

Does it have the CARB exemption number on it?

i have rustys air intake and its never been a problem with passing inspection/emissions. i live in the suburbs of philly.

Does Allentown have tailpipe sniffers for the emission test? I live in Luzerne county, and all we get is a visual inspection, and a gas cap leak test. As long as your engine is still breathing through the correct throttle body, it should be OK. After all, K&N and the others are compliant with all the regulations, but you could always ask the person who is doing the inspection. If he dosen't care, then leave it on.

Idk if they have sniffers this is my first time ever trying to pass a car which required a smog test lol.

My bro actually wrecked two 350z's. A track edition, and a boosted 05 with 32k on it. He now drives my dads mini-van lol.

Idk if they have sniffers this is my first time ever trying to pass a car which required a smog test lol.

My bro actually wrecked two 350z's. A track edition, and a boosted 05 with 32k on it. He now drives my dads mini-van lol.

Why buy not one but two Z's if he can't drive them! :dunno:

Why don't you call an inspection station and ask? Here in SoCal (as in all of CA), they can be pretty picky and some inspectors consider an aftermarket intake as "modifying" the emissions system. As long as the VC breather is tied in, it's generally OK.

I would probably skip the short ram. Close to no gain in HP, and probably a loss of HP if you run it with no Heat shield. The stock box also has the advantage of keeping the air a bit colder. It also keeps you from hydrolocking so easily if you 4wheel at all. The K&N setup has a heat shield, but I have my doubts about that setup stopping water too.

Back