• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

242 t/case output shaft

Jay S.

NAXJA Forum User
Hey,
It turns out that my recently hacked-n-tapped output shaft is bent ever so slightly. Is that shaft same as the 231 shaft or does it just fit the 242 case?? I would prefer to swap the 242 for a 231 so I can have more options for SYE kits.........thanks!

The shafts are different.

it's not the same shaft, but i'd scrap the 242, get a new one from the yard, put a SYE in it while it's out of the jeep, then swap cases

Well.....after doing some more research I might just go to my local driveshaft guy and see if I can get something like the Tom Woods kit where it has a way shorter output shaft and a new tail cone.....thanks for the input!!

Well.....after doing some more research I might just go to my local driveshaft guy and see if I can get something like the Tom Woods kit where it has a way shorter output shaft and a new tail cone.....thanks for the input!!

You will be pleased with the Tom Wood SYE for your 242. Be aware however that you will not get your full core deposit back if your shaft is bent. You may want to discuss it with Tom prior to ordering so you end up paying the actual price. The $400 core for the parts you return is not an exact price for the parts you're returning, just incentive for you to send them back.

You will be pleased with the Tom Wood SYE for your 242. Be aware however that you will not get your full core deposit back if your shaft is bent. You may want to discuss it with Tom prior to ordering so you end up paying the actual price. The $400 core for the parts you return is not an exact price for the parts you're returning, just incentive for you to send them back.

Yeah, I wonder how much is too much runout....Mine does make any noise or vibrate until I'm up to 65 m.p.h. WITH 4.56 gears!!
I looked at my Jeep up on the lift today and I think I can do the output shaft swap with the case still in the vehicle....the TnT crossmember with the lower control arm mounts make dropping it a pain!

I am doing a 3" lift on a 92 with a 242.i know a lot of people use the yj slip yoke to help with driveshaft binding on the 231. anything i can do to help this short of installing a sye? thanks in advance..

I am doing a 3" lift on a 92 with a 242.i know a lot of people use the yj slip yoke to help with driveshaft binding on the 231. anything i can do to help this short of installing a sye? thanks in advance..

I would try it out on the street once you get the lift done. Then if it has vibrations, you can lower the crossmember to bring the transfer case down and clear up the vibrations.

Yes 5/8" longer if i am not mistaken, and has less material where the u joint hits during flex.they have the same spline count? just wondering since it was stated the shafts can't be interchanged between the 231 and 242. as was stated earlier in this thread. anyone that knows i hope will chime in.

I looked at my Jeep up on the lift today and I think I can do the output shaft swap with the case still in the vehicle....the TnT crossmember with the lower control arm mounts make dropping it a pain!

Did mine still in the vehicle no problem. You dont even have to DC the front driveshaft.

Yep, that's the one.

Back