• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

engine codes

Shomsky462

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
i just checkes my engine codes and im pretty sure that i pulled codes
and 35

i found one website that defined the codes but it didnt have 73 or 75 and i dont know how accurate the site was cause it didnt look very accurate.

i also pulled a code a while ago that was a camshaft positioning sensor.
i dont know what that is and what it does.

anyone know what these codes are?
and what should i do about the camshaft PS?

thanks-
Shomsky

What year? My 95 FSM lists only up to 63. 35 is radiator fan relay circuit, and 12 is normal "battery has recently been disconnected."

I'd disconnect again to clear it, and reread the codes, because it sounds as if they might be a fluke.

Forgot to add, Camshaft position sensor is the electronic sensor inside your distributor. It controls fuel injection pulses. If it fails, it might not start. At least when I had a failure on a 93, with corresponding code, it would not start. If it does start with a bad cam sensor, it might not run at its best. It's a bit of a nuisance to replace, since you have to remove the distributor, take off the gear on the bottom and pull the shaft. However, it is not all that difficult. The part itself is in the 50-70 buck range, as I recall.

Last edited:
When i ran my 2000 cherokee, it came back with Code P0340 Camshaft Positioning Sensor, Sensor A Bank 1, and P0301 Cylinder Misfire.

Does anyone know of a writeup on replacing the Camshaft Positioning Sensor. I have never done this, but am ready to do it, just got to figure out how.

Thanks,

PBen

buy a service manual from an auto parts store. I have replaced two so far and it is not hard to do. make sure you remember where it is in realtions to the distributor as it can make a difference. Once you read the book you will understand what I am saying

Shomsky462 said:
i just checkes my engine codes and im pretty sure that i pulled codes
and 35

i found one website that defined the codes but it didnt have 73 or 75 and i dont know how accurate the site was cause it didnt look very accurate.

i also pulled a code a while ago that was a camshaft positioning sensor.
i dont know what that is and what it does.

anyone know what these codes are?
and what should i do about the camshaft PS?

thanks-
Shomsky

1) You should find a listing of codes on my website in the "Tech" section. Looks like you want OBD-I codes (1991-1995.) All codes listed are culled directly from FSMs, so they should be accurate (transcription was checked before posting.)

2) The Camshaft Position Sensor should be in the distributor, and it's meant to synchronise the camshaft with the crankshaft (since the cam turns at half crank speed.) It allows the ECU to know which batch of cylinders will be coming up for firing and fuel injection pulses. I know that RENIX can operate without the CPS (it can start without the signal and it can survive a 'sudden failure,') but I don't know about ChryCo PCM systems. However, you may just need to flush the codes and see if they come up again - I think the cam sensor code is a "hard" code - meaning it sets a CEL/MIL when it occurs.

Back