• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire Sizes

RSchurig356

NAXJA Forum User
What is the biggest tire I can go with on a stock 2000 XJ Classic. It currently has 225/70/R16's. I'm sure 235/70/R16's will fit, but will 245/70/R16's fit? And does anyone have any pics of their jeep with these size tires? And what kind of tires are most of you running for AT's? Thanks.

i have a stock 2000 XJ Classic also. it has the 16x7 stock aluminum wheels.
i had 225/70R16s on it and had no rubbing. when i replaced them with Les Schwab Open Country A/T tires i had them put on 235/70R16s. They rub on some part of the front suspension when making right/left at full lock. They don't rub enough to cause a problem, but i would probably stick to the 225/70R16s next time.
the Open Country A/T tires are pretty good in the snow and in the dry. it doesn't rain enough here to know what they are like on wet roads.
i was thinking about putting a 1inch spacer behind the wheels, but it would probably make the jeep fail the utah inspection since they are failing everything that has been altered from stock.
...hth...

What is the biggest tire I can go with on a stock 2000 XJ Classic. It currently has 225/70/R16's. I'm sure 235/70/R16's will fit, but will 245/70/R16's fit? And does anyone have any pics of their jeep with these size tires? And what kind of tires are most of you running for AT's? Thanks.
I found this link some time ago...Hope it helps someone.

I can't vouch for its validity as to what is set in stone ..... but I believe one can use it as a guideline of a sorts.
http://www.jeeptech.com/tire/

Thank B Raider. That helps out a bit. I still would like to see some pics of different tires on stock XJ's and know what people are running for all-terrains.

Back