• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Panamint Valley RSVP Thread - Dec 19,20,21

xL8 APEKSx

NAXJA Forum User
Alrighty people...

Dates are confirmed. Here's the itenerary.

Departing OC at 12 noon on Friday. Arriving in Ballarat around 4-5pm, depending on stops. If you want to meet us later on Friday night, that's totally fine. Just RSVP and make sure to send contact info so we know whether or not to wait for you. Exact routes are TBA, as there are a few variables (weather, group size, etc).

It will be one of two routes:

1) Pleasant/South Park Canyon Loop. Camp at Ballarat Friday night. Wheel all day Saturday and camp at Briggs or Stone Cabin Saturday night. Easy-out through Ballarat again on Sunday.

2) Goler Wash/Mengel Pass/Warm Springs. Camp at Ballarat Friday night. Wheel through Goler, Barker Ranch, Mengel Pass, and Butte Valley ending up in Warm Springs for the night. Out via Shoshone on Sunday.

Route 1 is lower miles, but Roger's Pass can be difficult in the snow. Route 2 is more mileage, but lower elevations. We can vote on it on Friday. And if I don't like the way the vote turns out, I'll pull a GW Bush on y'all and veto it. :patriot:

***CB Channel 4 is the primay channel in the Panamint Valley, we will all be on Channel 4!***

Any more details about the trip will be added to this thread. Please RSVP, and include the number of people in your party, so we have an idea who to expect. My GF will be attending, so you hooligans had better be on your best behavior...not that this is saying much for NAXJA. HAHAHA! See you out there! :kissyou:

1) LEAD: L8 APEKS (passengers Cody, Corey, and Lugnut the dog)
2) Justin ('89 XJ)

Last edited:
1) Pleasant/South Park Canyon Loop. Camp at Ballarat Friday night. Wheel all day Saturday and camp at Briggs or Stone Cabin Saturday night. Easy-out through Ballarat again on Sunday.

2) Goler Wash/Mengel Pass/Warm Springs. Camp at Ballarat Friday night. Wheel through Goler, Barker Ranch, Mengel Pass, and Butte Valley ending up in Warm Springs for the night. Out via Shoshone on Sunday.

I am curious, what are the ratings for all these trails? Or, what would be the minimum rig requirements?

I am curious, what are the ratings for all these trails? Or, what would be the minimum rig requirements?

Easy. Budget boost and 31's should be more than enough. I would think you'd be fine 100% stock, as long as you had decent A/T tires.

Great area, one of the first places I ever wheeled.

I think I'm going up there MLK weekend.

My wife is going to see if she can get that Friday off and if so, we would be down with going. I should know something tomorrow. :D

Well, my wife put in for the day but her work sucks! We won't know until the 8th but we are tenitively planning at this point. If it's okay, add us to the list please. :D

For some reason, I have no EDIT button so I can't add anything. Weird. I'm logged in. Am I missing something? I guess you can't edit a post after a certain amount of time? Oh well.

1) L8 APEKS ('01 XJ) +2 +dog
2) Justin ('89 XJ) +1 +dog
3) xj_mike ('00 XJ) +1

Weather update...

Checked last year's almanac...these dates in 2007 (recorded in nearby Trona) were:
12/19/07: 60.8 high, 33.8 low
12/20/07: 62.5 high, 35.6 low
12/21/07: 62.1 high, 34 low

Man i would love to go. Sounds like a great adventure. I need gears and lockers, so it a BIG maybee.

Not for this trip you don't. 100% stock should be just fine. :sunshine:

I'd recommend a 2-3" lift and maybe 31's to be safe, but these are not technical trails.

Didn't even notice the sig. Still a few weekends to prep, you can make it! :)

My big mod for this trip is a CB install utilizing a dual co-phased antenna setup. I'm tired of shitty CB Tx/Rx.

Bump...anyone else planning on making this trip?

Hey Sean, I PM'ed you some questions.

Considering Ballarat is only 45 min from my front door and my family will be out of town - I'm a definite maybe depending on how much travel I have scheduled for the rest of the month.

Back