• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

testing headlight switch

juniorXJ

NAXJA Forum User
how do i test the headlight switch? i have a short someware that keeps popping my park light fuse. we (me and a buddy) removed the headlight switch and ran a wire from the pos. on the batt. to the left front blinker and it still acts like it has a short, getting our jumper wire smoking and dim lights. that leads me to belive i have a short elseware other than my headlight switch though. what is a good process to follow to find my short?

1991 laredo, 4.0.

Last edited:
yup. but it is no longer a part of the curcit, we took it out. i should have mentioned that earlier.

check the harness connector near the airbox under the hood.

Does anyone have a pic of this 'harness connector near the airbox' as I don't seem to be able to locate it on my son's '87 XJ. Just the bundle of wires that are all taped together... no harness that I can find. Unless it's actually mounted on the finder and not under the air-box.

See pic...

87XJHeadlightWiring.jpg

the connector you see is for the electric fan, not the headlights.

look further toward the firewall up the wires that you have in the pic. There is a connector although it may be covered in tape.

There is a large/flat connector that is mounted on the firewall that these wires lead too... but I was looking at that and didn't notice any burned wires and the connection looked ok. I may have to disconnect and make sure the connections inside are not corroded or busted too. I'll re-look at this over the weekend. We were looking at it late one evening when I only had a few minutes to help my son and it was dirty and cold...

Back