• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AX-15 and 231 Qs..

What size wrench are the Drain/fill bolts for the ax-15 and np231? I hear the ax-15 takes 4.5 quarts and the 231 take 1.5 quarts to fill, is this right? thanks.

The NP231 drain plug varies in size - earlier ones were (IIRC) 1-1/4" or 30m/m, while later ones could take a 10m/m hex key. I don't recall on the AX-15, but it's almost certainly metric/ISO.

Fluid capacities are listed on my site under the Tech Archives, taken from FSMs.

My 89 NP231 was 30mm. Took a little less than 2 quarts and you'll need one of those hoses that screw onto the top of the oil bottle.

Anyone know why is tranny oil so stinky?

My 89 NP231 was 30mm. Took a little less than 2 quarts and you'll need one of those hoses that screw onto the top of the oil bottle.

Anyone know why is tranny oil so stinky?

What kind of tranny oil are we talking about, if it's gear oil you may be smelling the sulfur in it and thats not good for an AX15.

As far as the tranny drain and fill bolts, I think they are 1", not sure now, it used to be the biggest open ended wrench I had but I've dumped some others in the wrench drawer so I don't remember off the top of my head. My 98 transfer case takes a hex.
For filling I now have one of those automotive basters :D called a suction gun, looks like a grease gun with a tube on the end, big syringe, pull it it sucks, push it it blows. Kind of like an old girlfriend I had way back when.... :D :D :D :D :D

my AX15 is SAE (1 1/4? or something like that). I have made a small modification to make it easier to deal with it: I took the socket and flattened the edge so it would have lots of pozitive contact on that think bolt head.

Back