• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What About This Trail for a more "Moderate" Run at Goatfest?

swbooking

NAXJA Forum User
Guess its called Bullfrog Trail?

Did you read this part?
YOU need 33" tires and lockers or don't even try it ( if you can find it). It has Water falls and drop offs that if you don't have skid plates and rock sliders good luck!
It's not in the Hammers. Just by look of the terrain, I suspect that it's likely in or near Cougar Butte. That's where most of the competition rock crawling events take place.

I know you're concern with body damage and you don't want to risk that level of carnage. Go to Johnson Valley and have a great time. Bring lots of firewood and plenty of your favorite beverage. Have a great weekend and be safe.

Last edited:
yeah i read that one post...

Everything else i saw on it says its a great place to take the newbie JV wheelers...

Im not suggesting it for a stocker run but maybe for a bit harder then the scenic run, the original poster said he only got straped in one location, and probably could have gotten out if he "would" have turned on his locker.

From the pics, nothing seemed THAT crazy to where most mildly built jeeps couldnt do it.

Its just a suggestion, i have no idea where it is besides in the "JV area"

Thought it might be an alternative that would work out.

hehehe.. I agree with you both.. I think they look goofy looking, but I like them. :D

When it's time for me to put my XJ out of it's misery, I'll probably get a Liberty. Don't get your panties in a wad. I'm on my 5th or 6th Jeep; I started with a '81 CJ5.

Think about it, the CJ and YJ guys said that XJ's looked goofy lifted too.. :gee:

Anywho, I have nothing to contribute to the topic of this thread. :dunce:

E

Yeah, My Liberty looks goofy lifted.......but anyhow, The Bullfrog trail is West of the Cougar buttes area buried in the rocky hills. IT is a fun trail and I think that a 32" equipped rig w/ a posi could hang Ok if the driver pays attention to his spotter in a few places.

BTW, my son was driving when he wedged the front diff in between two rocks. We hooked up a strap but that wasn't helping as the vehicle pulling backwards was only spinning his tires. I jumped in, turned on the rear ARB and just drove Through the rock. My son just wasn't trying hard enough. LOL!

I wish I could make it out there, If I could, I would lead the trail but I have too many runs lined up already in the coming weeks so it just isn't in the cards this time.

You wouldnt happen to have GPS coords of the trail mapped out would you? How far is it from the lake bed camping area?

I don't currently have GPS info and I can't get down detailed enough to map it on google but here is what I have for now.

We drive in off of Camp Rock rd at Comet Rd which is at the pistachio farm, from there we head due East until the trail starts curving North near the rocky areas. Trail is marked w/ red stakes and white concrete mix marks on the ground plus old ribbon markings from a previous trip.

I have it marked on google earth but only near the general vicinity.
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=e...483991,-116.825995&spn=0.015812,0.023389&z=15
It will be tough to find by this info since it is a large area and the trails leading in go all over the place.

There is a group from the Bear Valley 4 Wheelers heading out there on Jan. 19th. and possibly another run in December just not sure on a date yet. Plans are to nail down GPS info, etc. on the next runs and possibly add to the trail.
I will update w/ any more info I can get.

By looking at John's Google map, it's just west a few miles on 247 from Means. Turn north on Camp Rock Road and east on Comet.

Just talking to FordGuy about this. If we show up to Means and there's a grip load of rigs lined up to do Aftershock, we just may break off and do some exploring and try to find the Bullfrog Trail.

We're just gonna play it by ear.

May be somewhere else but I am lazy... What time do the runs start on Saturday?

OK, I found it. Line up at 8:00am and leave by 8:30am

By looking at John's Google map, it's just west a few miles on 247 from Means. Turn north on Camp Rock Road and east on Comet.

Just talking to FordGuy about this. If we show up to Means and there's a grip load of rigs lined up to do Aftershock, we just may break off and do some exploring and try to find the Bullfrog Trail.

We're just gonna play it by ear.
im down for that johnny:yelclap:

Im open/LS, but i think i could make that trail. If you guys do decided on that let me know and we'll head out with you all.

Last edited:
Back