• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fan Resistor 96

Jeep XJ_YJ

NAXJA Forum User
Sorry If this is in the search, couldn't get it working! Needed new controls, so I put them in, but still only get High fan/ low or sometimes nothing in the lower 3 positions.

Where is the Resistor at? Pics would be great. Are they sold new, cheap? Also will this help stop the back of the switch from getting hot?
Thanks

If you get low fan sometimes I'm guessing it won't be the resistor, when the resistor goes bad you ONLY get high.

Under the passenger side glovebox, there is a black plastic shield - infront of the recirculation air intake. The resistor is mounted right there.

Check the plug behind your HVAC controls for the fan speed switch. This part melts! Mine would always smell like something was "burning" until one day it started to smoke. So I took it apart and removed the plug that was melting and put female crimp-on terminals on the wires instead and slid them onto the male contacts for the fan speed switch. Has been fine ever since, I don't even get the burning smell anymore even when the fan is on high!

If you get low fan sometimes I'm guessing it won't be the resistor, when the resistor goes bad you ONLY get high.

Under the passenger side glovebox, there is a black plastic shield - infront of the recirculation air intake. The resistor is mounted right there.

Check the plug behind your HVAC controls for the fan speed switch. This part melts! Mine would always smell like something was "burning" until one day it started to smoke. So I took it apart and removed the plug that was melting and put female crimp-on terminals on the wires instead and slid them onto the male contacts for the fan speed switch. Has been fine ever since, I don't even get the burning smell anymore even when the fan is on high!

I think it is my Resistor, this is the 3rd control unit ive tried. I removed the melting connector as well. One of my wires got hot and melted the whole switch. I was at the yard today looking for it in the donar xj, I saw that shield....

The plastic "shield" is just held on by 2 screws.

Be careful when removing the resistor from the donor vehicle, the vacuum actuator for the recirculate door is in the way a bit.

There are two bolts holding the resistor in there and one of them is a pita to get at, you'll have to use a wrench instead of a rachet or a screwdriver with a socket on it...which makes things more time consuming, but still, not bad all in all. Location is as stated above.

Back