• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Waterproofing Computer

jeepster_259

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone have any pics of how they have waterproofed their underhood computer?
I know it is sealed from the factory, but I already fried one from submerging it. I am not using my stock airbox and was going to put it in there and seal it up, but can't figure out an easy way to do it with all of the wires that come out of it.
Another idea was leaving it where it is, but trying to figure out a way to put tupperware around it and seal it.

If you seal it just remember that it does need to breath. It's electronic and will produce heat. When it cools you have the possibility of it producing some condensation which can lead to corrosion of connectors. I have submerged mine plenty of times and never had a problem with it shorting out. You might want to just put some dielectric grease on the main connection and call it good.

old fashioned way is dipping the circuit board in molten parrafin wax

a more modern method is dipping in epoxy resin

both methods will cause heat to be retained
, so its not good for any component with heat sinks.

the toughest part is sealing the connectors

x2 on the connectors! Spray wouldn't work there but dielectric grease or even petroleum jelly would help.

The spray should yield a thinner coating than dipping in anything and be able to dissipate the heat for the same reason. I would never coat a heat sink as that would lessen it's effectiveness.

Back