• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MOjave Road Run???

zjmikey

NAXJA Forum User
Just wondering if there is a group of people doing Mojave Road after t-giving??

Someone told me about it, but I forgot the exact details..

zjmikey said:

Hey Michael, look at the LOST group for that. They have done for the past few years.

I don't know who from this group goes out there as well.

check in with Cal. He has some details. I wont be able to go since the family will be in town... :(

jjmat3 said:
L.O.S.T. will be doing our annual Thanksgiving in Calico event. Probably also run a trail at HDR area too.

THanks JJ. I got my events mixed up. Lot of happenings in Nov!

zjmikey said:

Yes, that was me. We'll be running friday/sat/sun of thanksgiving weekend, from the far side back towards LA, to minimize the sunday evening traffic we have to sit in on the 15.

I'll PM you when I get final details set, which will be as soon as I return to California I hope (mid next week)

-Cal

I might actually have some brother in laws who might wanna go with me

well, for some reason Nicole and her parents were talking about how it would be cool if her brothers could go while she stuck around with her parents. So I wasnt in any objection

Very cool. Rare form of wife you have there.. professional model who wants to stay at home while you go jeeping with the boys.

well she has her moments of guilt trips. BUt yes, I should be grateful

My wife and I are thinking of driving this trail in late December from west to east. Anyone know how cold it gets at night for camping?

Vince said:
My wife and I are thinking of driving this trail in late December from west to east. Anyone know how cold it gets at night for camping?
cooooooooooooooooooooooold. Not sure about that area specifically but it can drop (will drop) below freezing point in the desert ;)

Vince said:

Typically, I would say in the range of 20-40 degrees Fahrenheit. It really depends on what the weather is like, though. I have been in the east Mojave in January when the day time highs are in the 80-90's and the overnight lows were around 50. I've also been out there and been snowed on. The unpredictable issue is the rain. If we've had rain, Soda Lake may or may not be passable, meaning a detour through Baker.

Gonna want any travelling companions?

Cal: add me to the list of people you inform about the trail. I've been wanting to do it again. Esp if you are planning time in Afton Canyon.

We arent planning specific times anywhere, we want to wander and explore and such. We'll have several stock rigs with us, so its going to be all scenic, but people dont mind waiting if you find an obsticle to play on somewhere.

I'll post the details up here when I put them together, I need to get in gear on it. I can tell you that I'll be leaving thursday afternoon while everyone else is eating to head out, and expect to leave from the meeting place like 10:30 am on Friday. That gives people time to get up friday morning and drive out to meet up.

I'll post where and when as soon as I put it together.

-Cal

karstic said:
Typically, I would say in the range of 20-40 degrees Fahrenheit. It really depends on what the weather is like, though. I have been in the east Mojave in January when the day time highs are in the 80-90's and the overnight lows were around 50. I've also been out there and been snowed on. The unpredictable issue is the rain. If we've had rain, Soda Lake may or may not be passable, meaning a detour through Baker.

Gonna want any travelling companions?

Thanks for the info. I have been camping at temperatures below freezing before and it's tough - a detour to a hotel sounds like a better plan. We will probably be driving this trail on Christmas Eve and into Christmas Day so I doubt there will be many people that would want to join us, but you are welcome to.

Back