• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing Neg Battery Cable

DanHfmn

NAXJA Forum User
The negative cable coming off my battery needs to be replaced, there's corrosion going up into it from the battery, and it's been trimmed back a few times for new connectors. Where does that wire go? Just down to the starter or engine block ground?

Last edited:
Hallo. The black negative (-)groundwires are going to the engineblock (dipstickbracket) and to the chassis.
The wire that's going to the starter is red and is possitive (+). And the other red goes to the fusebox. :shhh:
Also control your groundwire from the enginehead to the firewall.(braid one). two pictures:

p.s. 5-90 has nice cables.

'92 Cherokee

Last edited:
I ran out to the parking lot and tried to trace that wire. Looks like it goes to a bracket right behind the alternator down on the block. Hard to tell, but it looks to be the same guage wire/color. There's nothing on the dipstick bracket on my jeep, maybe they switched it up a little between '92 and '01.

On my 93 it went to the block behind the Alt. If your going to replace it get heavier wire while your at it. Get a good terminal also. I went with a terminal for car audio equipment. It was nicely built and had 4 terminals for wires. And I think I went with 4awg wire. I picked up both at Walmart.

& X2 5-90 has good wires also he has good info on his site.

Sounds like a lot of corrosion to me with multi repairs done already. Maybe overcharging or cracked battery case sometimes post will come lose within the case. Do you have a winch, lots of lights, big amp overloading will cause problems to.

Back