• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

u joint question!

FlexdXJ

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
I gave a buddy a u-joint for my 97 XJ to put on his 95 ZJ. Is the ZJ u-joint the bigger one like my XJ? I don't want him to have it all torn apart then the u-joint not fit!

oh damn sorry Axle joints forgot about that! :D

no it has axle joints. I figured it would be the larger one, the 760x if i'm not mistaken, since they had an optional V8

297's. 760's are the spicer upgrade, same size as a 297 but stronger.

95+ all had 297's regardless of ABS or not for the XJ. Prior to 95, 260's were used for non-ABS and 297's were only used with ABS.

Not sure about the ZJ though, if it followed that pattern or not. Plus ZJ's had some CV shafts mixed in as well.

Personally I'd go behind the tire and measure the width of the joint and the cap diameter. That way you'd know if you had the right u-joint in hand before tearing it apart. :}

I told them it was the 297 u-joint when i was at the counter. Not sure why i called it the 760 earlier in the thread

I keep reading that but when I asked Advance for an unspecified a u-joint for a '97 XJ they gave me the 260

Yeah, AutoZone does the same schit. If you say non-abs for any year they give you a 260.

from first hand experience with both of these electronic catalogs, I can tell you the problem lies above the store chain in this case-- the information from the manufacturers have it cataloged as such and due to contract agreements with the suppliers, it take an act of congress to deviate from their cataloging unless they research and agree with the change.

All in all, if you venture into an Advance or a Zone, be prepared to tell them you have ABS if you want the larger u-joint.:banghead:

I told them it was the 297 u-joint when i was at the counter. Not sure why i called it the 760 earlier in the thread

Same thing. The 5-760x is the "new and improved" 5-297x.

Back