• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Feels like trans is slipping in to nuetral

p0rkbelly

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 88 w/ the 4.0l and an auto. trans.

Today as I was diving at about 25 mph the rpms started getting higher as the jeep slowed down. I eventually came to a stop. It was like the trans was in neutral. I tried putting it all the way in first gear. Then tried reverse. Nothing. Tried 4wd. Nothing. Put it in 4 low and revved it real high (just cause I was mad) and it budged. So in 4 low at about 4k rpms I limped it off the road and left it for a couple hours. When I came back I started the jeep and put it in gear. I had a nice firm shift into gear but this only lasted about fifteen seconds. I turned it off and back on and it did the same thing. I could spin the tires as soon as I put it in gear but very quickly it would fade to nothing. I also tried accelerating slowing but the same thing would happen. Luckily I was very close to home and just kept turning it off and driving as far as it would let me until I got home. When this started the jeep was cold. I had just started it and not even made it a 1/4 down the road.

Anyone got any idea as to whats going on.

If you need any more info please ask.

hmm clutch packs in the tranny maybe, of the torque converter. have you replaced your tranny fluid lately or checked it?

I checked the fluid. Color looks good and level is right. I'm kind of leaning towards an electrical problem, maybe a sensor. Like I said before. It shifts very firm when you first put it in gear. Then after about 15 sec. it fades away. It doesn't immediately go out of gear. Slowly fades and then I have nothing. Also I wanted to clarify that when I turn it off and back on I'm not letting it set. I turn it off and turn right back on and it drives....for about 15 sec. I did let it sit overnight and try it and it does the same thing.

Any Ideas Anyone?

I would suggest to unplug the tcu so that you can control each gear manually, and see if it is a mechanical problem or electrical. The tcu is located on the passenger side, underneath the glovebox area. It almost sounds like the tranny can't keep it's oil pressure.

I unplugged the tcu and there was no change in performance. Does this mean I can completely rule out an electrical problem and start looking at mechanical or could there still be a problem with the tps or another sensor? If mechanical, is there anything I can check myself?

IH392, what would cause it to not keep oil pressure?

as you say the fluid level is correct and smells fine, I'd say probably a bad front pump or varnish build up in the valve body. Because it's in all gears, I'd lean toward lack of any fluid pressure and likely restricted/ bad pump. Sadly, the clutch packs have probably overheated as a result and will need replacing also.

Is it worth trying to rebuild this tranny, or should I just swap one out from a junkyard? This one has 200,000 miles on it now. Probably better to find one w/75,000 on it?

Can you even replace the pump? If so do you have to drop the trans to do it?

Also, if I replace it, can it be any year or will only certain years fit in an 88?

Last edited:
I'm usually a fan of rebuild over replace, but with the AW4, I'll vote for replace. They're dime-a-dozen in the boneyard and usually are indestructible. You're probably safe with a good used one and cheaper in the long run.

Front pump is available separately, but I don't have a good source to relay. You would have to pull the transmission back enough to remove the torque converter and then the pump--

Back