• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Opinion ??

jmeti000

NAXJA Forum User
dont ask why i was thinkin about this...but i was wondering if any of you think the xj will ever be (or is already)considered a "classic", such as say the first gen. broncos and blazers of their time...and if so how many years you think it will take? And NOOOO!!! im not plannin on keepin mine locked in the garage just in case, it gets plenty of good use ;).

Define 'Classic'. When I'm done fixing and painting my '92, I will apply for 'classic tags' here in PA. As far as I know, a classic classification needs to be 15 model years old, and representative of that vehicle when it was new. I've had classic tags on my '78 Firebird for more than ten years, with the only limitation being that it can't be your daily driver. You have to show proof that you have at least one other vehicle. The benefit is cheaper insurance, as the 'Bird is only about ten dollars a month, compared to about sixty with a normal tag. The downside is that you can't modify past a 'stock' appearance.

I wish WA had a more liberal definition of classic. Its 30 years old. I wish it was 20. I'd have Collector Plates on my 87. And yes I do think the Cherokee will be considered a classic someday.

I am not sure about that.

There were over 2 million of them built... Basic styling was unchanged for 17 years..

I do not think XJs lend themselves to classic. Not like the '87 GNX or the '64.5 Mustang

A classic in the loose sense of the term maybe, but they made too many of them to have any real collectible value. Value there is based on amount manufactured.

I think a clean 80s XJ is already a classic. It was the first downsize, 4 door, popular suv. I agree that they are too common to ever be real valuble though. Look at Model T & Model A Fords. There were millions of them sold and they are for sure classics, but nice ones are only in the $10k to $15k price range. Just my opinion.

Back