• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Forbidden Drive in Fairmount Park (Philly, PA) - First Nikon D2x Shots!

GhostDakota

NAXJA Forum User
Here's my album from Saturday.. my first actual real shots with the D2x and the 18-70mm "kit" lens that I purchased last year. My friend Mandy (Yes boys, she is 29 & single! lol) and I did a 6.5 mile hike in the Forbidden Drive section of Fairmount Park on the Philly/MontCo border. Took my XJ there, parked it and then hiked! I then went to my friend Liz's place and took like 5 or so shots indoors with my SB600 to test that outcome.

A few of my favs from Sat (Unedited):
417939533_sG7Yr-XL.jpg

417927386_MXudQ-XL.jpg

417923300_fkdcj-XL.jpg

417921070_yvxxj-XL.jpg

417925560_g25PX-XL.jpg

417913879_EusqU-XL.jpg

417941935_BmbwB-XL.jpg

And the whole album (Mouse over the photo, click "Photo Info" for the EXIF data. I gave Mandy the D70s for a while to shoot with my 70-300 VR attached):
http://pafirefighter11.smugmug.com/gallery/6565894_9LJfP

I did have an issue with some blurry photos. Main reason was the fairly high winds (It was 73* and we were in a Tornado watch) as well as the lack of sunlight and shots being later in the day. I learned A LOT about the camera body just from that Saturday usage of the camera! I forgot my tripod in the Jeep, so all the water shots were done sitting on my Case Logic backpack.

Mehhh these photos suck IMO lol... The weather wasn't helping, aside from the warm! It's 35* right now, going down to 22* tonight. Oh boy, fun!

Most times, it's the composition that makes the pix, not your perception of your skill. The Ex used to be a photo bug and even attended a UW seminar on nature photography. The saying goes in the business that the only way to take an award winning picture is to take lots of pictures. She took some nice pix also, but mostly action shots of Drag cars -gave her something to do while I played- ;)

You did a very nice job with composition. There are some real keepers in there. It's interesting that the statue was not one that you posted as your favorites.

Keep shooting :thumbup:

Last edited:
nice pics! I used to mountain bike Fairmount before I moved, so thanks for some familiar Philadelphia images.

Back