• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front axle flex

frozen chosen

NAXJA Forum User
So as some of you know I just put a 4.5 RC kit on my 96 country.
Yes I went with the spring pack and not AAL that was a must for me.
Rear spring packs flex very well and I am very happy with them. Now the question I have is why does the front not flex as well. I have not yet tried it with the SB disconnected but I am only running 31's right now and the front will not even compress the shock all the way let alone stuff into the wheel well.
Do the disco make that much of a difference on these vehicles...or do the RC springs not compress very well? This is my first XJ and have only done TJ, YJ and Toys in the past. I can't find anything binding when I flex it out.
Any info would be great.:peace:

So the sway bar is sill connected to the axel? if so then there's your problem the sway bar is practically designed to not let flex happen.

all the discos do is make it easier to disconnect the sway bar.

Last edited:
This is what I was thinking but I didn't think that it would make that much of a difference...
Thanks for the replys...

it's a monumental difference. a 4 link will always flex better than leafs. if you're flexing for the first time, be sure to check the brake line length. don't wanna rip those apart...

wow, you're impressed with the flex when connected? you'll be AMAZED when you disconnect the axle(s) and RTI it :) Post some pics!!

good point with the brakelines. go a little at a time and keep checking that they don't get pulled on before your flex is maxed out if they're stock brake lines...

I imagine the RC kit came with something to accomodate extending the brake lines. If not, just straighten out the Z bent front brake lines and remount them lower (good for about 4.5" of lift) and for the rear, get some YJ brake lines. That should give you enough length.

I have a RE 3.5" lift and I remounted the front lines and the kit came with an extended rear brake line.

wow, you're impressed with the flex when connected? you'll be AMAZED when you disconnect the axle(s) and RTI it :) Post some pics!!

says he who has clayton...

Brake lines are not an issue....New stainless extended were installed when I did the lift...
5spd XJ, the front sucks right now and it is only the rear that I am impressed with

That was the first thing I removed...

did you remove the front sway bar yet? i daily drive mine and i don't have any. it's even fine on the highway, just don't try to play nascar.

Brake lines are not an issue....New stainless extended were installed when I did the lift...
5spd XJ, the front sucks right now and it is only the rear that I am impressed with

of course the front sucks! its still connected. i thought the RC kits came with discos. guess not though. when i was stock with the sway bars disconnected, i could flex way better than lifted and connected. thats how much of a difference it makes

Can't wait to get them discos made and see what this thing can do. I going to be going with a long arm kit sometime this winter but don't have the $550.00 I need for that kit yet.. So I am trying to get as much as possible out of it now...I am still running open diffs and need to keep the tires on the ground to get traction. Haven't been able to find an "AIR TRACTION" kit anywhere on the internet...

I imagine the RC kit came with something to accomodate extending the brake lines. If not, just straighten out the Z bent front brake lines and remount them lower (good for about 4.5" of lift) and for the rear, get some YJ brake lines. That should give you enough length.

I have a RE 3.5" lift and I remounted the front lines and the kit came with an extended rear brake line.

Depends on how much you've trimmed, how far you can flex.

I've stretched my brake lines front and rear beyond safety with my 3" lift and 31's...so I did the brakeline swap (chevy and dakota brake lines).

l_d7433082fa6a3eb1b8a070dc71d0740b.jpg

^I got it up about 6" farther with some more speed (not crawling). This is an old photo though.

~Scott

Back