• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rod ends?? Johnny or heim joints?

kmanxj5050

NAXJA Forum User
i am making my own UCA's (adj.) just wondering what the main differences in these two are?? Strentgh, life, ride, flex, or should i just get a rubber end?? i was looking at the rod ends from rusty's, but i can get a set of four heims (brand new) 1 1/2" wide (not wide enough i dont think) for 40 bucks.

And how wide does the unibody end on the Uppers have to be? rusty's offer 2" and 2.5"

Oh yeah It would be like 80 bucks for two from rusty's. Johnny or rubber doesnt matter. Anywere else cheaper?

down at the bottom or the ends.
http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=rustys&Category_Code=cus

thanks in advance

your post makes no sense, what are you looking for? No hiem ends will not be 1.5" wide, you will have to run spacers. If your getting four for 40 bucks then they are crap. Good ones are 40 each. Johnny joints don't use rubber so not sure what your asking? As for the width, it's what ever you want to make it, unless your using stock mounts in which case measure them.

if you do mostly street, look into the rubi rebuildable flex joints. They'll be alot more street friendly and are rebuildable, which you'll do often enough

if you do mostly street, look into the rubi rebuildable flex joints. They'll be alot more street friendly and are rebuildable, which you'll do often enough

Yup, either Summit Machine or RE joints is what I'd run. The stock joints on the unibody side for the UCA have a 2" mounting width and a 10mm bolt.

Lots of people run JJ, but I can't get myself to buy parts forged in China. :eyes:

Last edited:
when i said rubber i meant ones that are like stock but have the threaded end(like the ones at rusty's)

and i thought the flex joints were called johnny joints.

when i said rubber i meant ones that are like stock but have the threaded end(like the ones at rusty's)

and i thought the flex joints were called johnny joints.

Not all flex joints are Johnny Joints. Kinda like the whole Kleenex and facial tissue thing. Support what you will, but my money will try and stay on US soil. :)

To me those rubber ones that Rusty's have seem like a waste. While they are probably good in concept the money you are paying for them you might as well get a flex joint.

well what do they mean when they say they are adjustable?? how does a flex joint work?

agreed on kleenex lol i though johnny joint was the name not a brand lol.:us:

IIRC, Johnny Joint is a particular brand of spherical joint. A Heim joint is another example. The difference between them is size, and materials used. Heims are generally metal on metal, Johnny Joints use a metal ball in a high density plastic race.

A Johnny Joint is pressed together, and held by a circular clip. The spherical joint sold by Rubicon Express uses a threaded ring, is adjustable for wear with a spanner wrench, and also uses a high density plastic race.

Jeff has it right.
The downside of the JJ is that they can't be tightened once they are setup. When the start to wear they get loose. The Summit and RE joints both have threaded collars which allows one to change and set the preload on the spherical ball.

I definately have never had any issues with all my RE Super-flex ends(love em)!
590.jpg

These are 1-1/4" ID(not OD),makes (tubing)welding sizes easier to select!
590.jpg

right are they a standard thread or????

The RE ones like pictured above are 1"-14TPI or 1.25"-12TPI (depending on joint size )and will accept any inserted threaded rod of that size.
Summit Machine can do any standard thread shank you want. I ordered mine with 1.25"-12TPI threaded shanks.
Or you could always weld your own shank on any joint.

Really depends on the setup you want to run. Do you want the joint to thread into or onto the arm?

Last edited:
Back