• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heater only works on 4?

Big Kev

NAXJA Forum User
The first 3 levels on my heater/ac/vent will not blow air. I can get some air movement if I am moving, but otherwise it will only blow with the switch on 4. Anybody have this problem? Do you guys think it is the blower motor, or a problem with the switch. If I turn it to 4 it blows hard like it is on high. Do I have a bad relay some where?

It is a 99 XJ with about 185,000 miles. It does not owe me any thing and I have never changed the blower motor or any thing else related to this.

My x had a grand am that did the same thing. It was her blower resistor the 1 2 and 3 pathways were fried and it was only working on the 4th pathway. I dont know if the Xjs use something similar but it was cheap and easy to replace.

It's the resistor pack; pretty common problem. Not the blower motor or the switch. The resistors "step down" the speed of the blower as you turn the switch. When the resistor toasts, you are left with the high speed. I don't think it's too difficult to replace; I've never had to do it but I think it is located on the passenger side under the dash; somebody else will chime in I'm sure with the location and maybe a quick procedure.

To quote the FSM:

BLOWER MOTOR RESISTOR
The blower motor resistor is mounted to the bottom of the heater-A/C housing on the passenger side of the vehicle under the instrument panel. It can be accessed for service by removing the heater-A/C housing kick cover. The resistor has multiple resistor wires, each of which reduce the current flow to the blower motor, to change the blower motor speed. The blower motor switch directs the ground path through the correct resistor wire to obtain the selected speed. When the highest blower speed is selected, the blower motor switch connects the blower motor directly to ground, bypassing the blower motor resistor. The blower motor resistor cannot be repaired and, if faulty or damaged, it must be replaced.

No good picture on the location, but it's not hard to find once you pull that cover off. It looks like this:
710141.jpg

if you search on here, somewhere theres info about using a 99 cent thermal fuse to repair your resistor pack. It worked for me, but it was quite a while ago that I saw this. Good Luck!

Just a quick FYI. My resistor had gone out too and it ended up going out due to a worn out blower motor. You may want to replace that also.

Thanks for the help. I will try the resistor first and then if I have to I will replace the blower motor. I would not be surprised if I had to replace both.

Just a quick FYI. My resistor had gone out too and it ended up going out due to a worn out blower motor. You may want to replace that also.

Very good clarification JeepM@n; that has been known to be a common cause of taking out the resistor. You could replace the resistor itself and if it goes AGAIN, definitely replace the blower motor or you could replace em both now if you're ambitious.

No, I am not very ambitious. It is starting to get cold and I don't enjoy working on the jeep with numb fingers.

Of course it is supposed to be pretty warm here for at least the next week, so if the new resistor blows before that then I can probably get it changed.

Standard operating procedure is to replace the resistor once. If it goes out again, replace the motor too. Most common cause of blower motor failure is excessive moisture. Turn it off if you go through a car wash.

Well I put in a new resistor yesterday and so far it has fixed the problem. It was a pain to get to, at least very uncomfortable, but pretty easy to change out. Some other stuff came out when I pulled it and I am guessing that maybe some of the garbage caused it to overheat/crap out. Thing was a little expensive though ~$60, from the stealership.

Another FYI. I get mine from the boneyard. At 5 bucks a pop it beats going to my stealership. They are easy to test just bring a multimeter with you.

Well I put in a new resistor yesterday and so far it has fixed the problem. It was a pain to get to, at least very uncomfortable, but pretty easy to change out. Some other stuff came out when I pulled it and I am guessing that maybe some of the garbage caused it to overheat/crap out. Thing was a little expensive though ~$60, from the stealership.
WOW, did you get dinner & forplay with that. Next time go to Napa, Autozone, Advance, what ever is closest. THIS IS NOT A DEALER ONLY ITEM.

edit-- I'm not at work right now, but I'll bet my cost is less than $20.

WOW, did you get dinner & forplay with that. Next time go to Napa, Autozone, Advance, what ever is closest. THIS IS NOT A DEALER ONLY ITEM.

At napa, they cost right around $20. Just bought one a couple weeks ago.

For a 99 XJ, NAPA website lists part number ECHBR257 at $48.49.
u_clear.gif

That's crazy! The NAPA price I mean, I am having the same difficulty with my 91'. I had extra time at lunch, so I ripped down to the stealership. They are having it shipped up to me from a city five hours away.

The cost, with tax: $17.43. CANADIAN.

Wow, guess I got taken for a ride... Oh well at least it works and if it happens again I know not to go to the stealership to get a new one.

The blower motor resistor for a 91 is considerably cheaper. Almost half the price in fact. I think the older Jeeps used a standard GM style part.

So with our economy officially in the tank, that $17.43 CDN is like $50 in US dollars now?

For a 99 XJ, NAPA website lists part number ECHBR257 at $48.49.
u_clear.gif

Good call on this! My 98 XJ had the same issue- nothing but #4 on the blower motor- so I did a search and found a remedy here on NAXJA. Before today, I was prepared to go buy a switch thinking the resistor was integrated, but I learned of the separate resistor unit including the part number and where to get it! I called NAPA with the part number, they had it in stock, I picked it up and installed it this afternoon. I've been driving around switching the fan from low to high and back enjoying the simple pleasure of a functioning switch (it's been broken for a year). It was painless except for the hastle getting the "hidden" screw off the kick panel, but I've now learned that the kick panel will remain secure with only three screws and a broken tab.

Thanks NAXJA members!

Back