• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Taking carpet out

codyyy

NAXJA Forum User
I spilled about a gallon of gas in the back of my Jeep, and no matter how much I air it out or try cleaning it, it still reeks just as bad. I'm thinking about taking the carpet out overall, but have a few questions.
How hard/time consuming would it be to take it out?
Should I even do this? Or would it be better to take it out, clean it real good and then put it back in/replace it? I'm assuming I could clean it a lot better when it is out.
The carpet is pretty messed up. Warped real bad, a big stain in the back as well from hauling car parts. I just can't stand the smell anymore. Thanks.

Alright thanks, I'll get to it. I figure if I don't like the carpet being out I can always put new carpet in or clean the old real good.

This thread sounds very familiar. Last time it was discussed, I think someone said windex would help with the smell?

Well I'm almost done taking the back carpet out, it's loose. Only other question I have right now is that I noticed the back carpet and front carpet are two different pieces, I'm debating on taking all of it out or just the rear. The front is stained quite a bit but not screwed up like the rear.
Another thing is, do I have to take the center console off or not? I can't figure out a way to get it off.

I would take every piece out that was affected by the gas and take it to the car wash and power wash it. Then let it try completly. I've used the car wash for everything from Carpet to car seats.

Yeah you have to take it off. There are some screws in the box, and you need to take the handle off the shifter and lift up the plastic cover and there will be a few more. It is pretty easy to do.

If you spilled gas in just the back and it didn't get any further forward than the back seat then just take out the back half and wash it at the car wash as suggested then let air dry for a week so the underpad completely dries out. While it's out you'll also have the perfect chance to see how much rust was under the rear half of the carpet giving you an idea to what the front might be like.

Well surprisingly my XJ has no rust in the back, at all. The gasoline was soaked in the carpet pretty bad, I'll take pics if any of you want to see. The only bad problem I have is that i snapped the bolt that mounts the driver's seat that goes through the floor. Good thing I still have thread sticking out, I'm sure heat and PB Blaster will get the broken stud out. I might as well take the carpet out of the front, it's stained a ton and really dirty, might as well powerwash that too.

i have pulled the carpet out of every thing i have owned and cleaned it with a powerwasher and reinstalled it .The 92 i have now took the whole inter out and cleaned it its a DD repainted the plastic parts and installed looks like new in side .

Is the outer rear bolt that broke for your seat? Both of the outer rear bolts broke on my seats when taking them out, the same happened in my Friend's XJ.

Just drill forward of the stud and put in a grade 8 bolt and nut. Nothing better or easier than that!

the rear seat belt bolts, the lower ones at least are also a major pain in the A to take out one came out ok the other three heads stripped. Im just going to cut them, drill them out and replace them with grade 8s

Ok well what I mean is the rear bolt on the driver's side, not the stud with the nut on it, the bolt that goes all the way through the floor, you can see the bottom of the bolt by looking underneath the Jeep. I managed to pull the passenger one out very carefully with a breaker bar and WD-40. This bolt got the PB Blaster and still broke, it isn't a big deal to me because the end of the bolt is still sticking out of the underside of the Jeep. So I could just spray some PB Blaster down through the floor, heat up the stud and take some Vise Grips and get it out.
The carpet smells really bad though, it stunk up the whole garage. I'm still stuck on how to get the tranny shift panel all the way off. It's getting caught on the upper left corner.

Back