• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shake, rattle, and roll.

jtl909

NAXJA Forum User
post recently updated*

Long time reader, first time poster. Thought I'd consult the brain-trust before I hit the parts counter and face my wifes wrath!

I have '93 Jeep XJ that has almost had everything replaced at some time or another. New 4.0 engine, tranny, 4x4 transaxle, shocks, cooling system, electrical, you name it, I've seen it come and go. Now, I've had the vehicle for a long time and I've always been wary of the fact that none of the front end suspension components have ever been replaced and right on schedule for it's usual three month interval for a new mechanical problem I was driving down the highway at 55 and the whole vehicle started shaking like mad. Violent enough to scare the hell out of me! I slowed down to a stop and the shaking ceased. This only occurs periodically at highway speeds and I always have to pull over and stop. Not really a problem since it's my daily driver within city limits but it's a serious safety issue that needs to be addressed.

So where should I start to look first? Ball joints? Wheel bearings? Bushings? I recently replaced the front brakes and the wheels turned fine and didn't seem to have any play in them.

I'm hoping it's a cheap (under $150) fix because after having the entire floor pan replaced my wife is always looking for new reasons for me to get rid of it and that is simply a non-option.

Thanks!

*update

It has a name! I heard the term Death Wobble and I thought "that has to be it!" Found a very informative site regarding it.

I'm still really interested in any input anyone has to offer. Especially a plan of attack.

Last edited:
NOT death wobble

kinda like it, maybe the start, but it gets so bad that you actually have to stop fully for it to stop. it may get scary when your vibrating and wiggling, but when DW happens, its like "its all over the road" scary...

to be constructive, grab every part up front and try to wiggle it, if it wiggles thats your problem, if not, keep searching. then look at bushings to see if they are worn or shot.

hardly an expert but would look real close at replacing the steering damper if it hasn't been.
have had the same thing happen on YJ's before.

never did understand the difference between that and DW, Guess I haven't read all 3000 threads yet :)

Right, I've had that in mind (steering damper) as I don't ever remember it being replaced in the ten years I've had it.

RocklandXjer> As far as the previous post not sounding urgent enough then I apologize. It definitely is bad enough that I have to pull over to the side of the road. Very loud, very violent shaking.

yea, i just saw that it was pertaining to your other post and figured that since you said his sounded like yours that it was mild.. i read your post and figured otherwise, still, do check all the links in the front end

I had the same thing happen to me today. I've owned my xj for about a month and it's had the lift (5.5" w/ 33's) for quite some time now. I've taken this up to 85 before without any serious shaking but today, all of a sudden, at about 55, this happened. It was shaking so much I couldn't make anything out in front of me and I had to slow down to a crawl before I could merge over 3 lanes to the side of the road. I can't figure it out, nothing's loose up front.

The steering dampner is a band-aid fix at best.Do a search on DW,there cant be much over a 1000 threads on it.Look for the root of the problem!

explorerxj said:
replace steering dampener first , 99% sure ,

I just replaced mine and it stopped all my shakey episodes...Although, I still have much more to replace in the front end, but this def. improved alot and i can actually go over 35mph without fearing for my life

Back