• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ive got a leaky Neutral Safety Switch AW4 XJ 95, is there a seal i can replace??

95cherjustin

NAXJA Forum User
I dont want to buy a new 300.00 switch it is leaking right out the nut, running out all over the place. i have the nut off and the washer has a little seal behind it but can i silicone that with some black rtv stuff or no. need help thanks!!

The seal around the shaft is probably what's leaking. I'd say get it replaced instead of trying to seal it with goop from the outside. If you don't want to do that, maybe find an O-ring or rubber washer of the right size and let the NSS compress it down.

Have you identified what type of liquid is coming off the NSS ? Where is this excess liquid coming from ? There is nothing inside the NSS but a tiny bit of light grease and some wires.

Have you identified what type of liquid is coming off the NSS ? Where is this excess liquid coming from ? There is nothing inside the NSS but a tiny bit of light grease and some wires.

The NSS is driven by a shaft that sticks out the side of the tranny, and a ring seal around the shaft. If that seal gets torn, tranny fluid will leak.

I have replaced a few NSS and never had a similar problem. I supposed that tranny fluid was leaking. I just wanted to be sure that the OP wasn't mistakenly believing that oil, or some other kind of leak, that was just by chance landing on the NSS, is tranny fluid.

yea i pulled of the nss and it was the seal in the tranny, got two new ones from jeep fixed the problem, the shift linkage seal was leaking on the drivers side too so 2 birds 1 stone thanks guys

You should tear down and clean the NSS as well - it's not designed for major oil "bath" sealing. It generally does a decent job of keeping road crud and water out - but it's probably due for a cleaning anyhow. With the transmission fluid getting all over it, it's sure to want a cleaning fairly soon!

looks to me like it's 8350 4332 but I'm not exactly sure. That's for a 94-96 but almost certainly fits all year AW4s.

That's a repair kit including two seals (one at each end of the shift shaft) and a cross pin that's used to hold the manual valve lever/cam onto the shaft inside the trans pan.

Back