• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Offset 8.8 solution?

Kevinma255

NAXJA Forum User
I have been told that the 8.8 has an offset of about 1.5 inches more than the D35. Would it be a good idea to center the pinion when I weld my perches on and just put one wheel spacer on the short side?

I thought about doing the same thing, but I ended up centering the axle like normal.
With a sye you shouldn't notice any vibes.

I have been told that the 8.8 has an offset of about 1.5 inches more than the D35. Would it be a good idea to center the pinion when I weld my perches on and just put one wheel spacer on the short side?

It's not necessary at all. I've never even seen anyone do it, there wouldn't be any real advantage in doing so.

Even if you did attempt to do it, I don't think it'd work. It's offset to the pass. side. So, your pass side perch would not have any axle tube to set on. It'd be trying to occupy same realestate as the brakes.

If you're drive line is properly set, you shouldn't have any issues.

do you have a SYE? if you do its not a problem at all. even if you dont you should be fine. as said before theres no advantage to center in the 'pumpkin' under the jeep

do you have a SYE? if you do its not a problem at all. even if you dont you should be fine. as said before theres no advantage to center in the 'pumpkin' under the jeep

I ran my 8.8 with the stock driveshaft with no problems at all. At the time I was running at 3-3.5" lift.

I ran my 8.8 with the stock driveshaft with no problems at all. At the time I was running at 3-3.5" lift.

oh okay, i just remember reading a writeup where they said it was helpful to have an SYE (it was a TJ writeup). so its good to know it works either way

oh okay, i just remember reading a writeup where they said it was helpful to have an SYE (it was a TJ writeup). so its good to know it works either way
The TJ is a slightly different animal then our XJs. The rear drive shaft on one of those is only like 14" long.

When referrring to an offset in an 8.8 it means the 8.8 differential is offset approx 3" to the passenger side to facilitate gas tank spacing on the Ranger and Explorer. You should have no issues with drive line angles on an XJ by just bolting one it.

Back