• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2?

Westernhunter

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 01 xj, and when I shift into 4x4 sometimes the front axle doesn't engage. Then sometimes when I shift out of 4x4 it stays locked in.
Is the linkage out of adjustment? Or is the problem deeper?
Next problem, whenever my heat/air control is on, the a/c pump is switching on and off. Is this normal? Why do I need my a/c pump on heat or vent?
Other than this the xj is great.

Change the Transfer case fluid. First make sure you can get the plug out of the fill hole before you drain it. Use the 4x4 more often so the linkages and mechanisms don't get stiff. Lubricate the 4x4 shift lever mechanism. Just as a note for anyone reading, do not use 4x4 on dry pavement (unless you have the NP242 with the FULLTIME 4x4 position), drive line binding can keep the transfer case engaged in 4x4 when the lever is returned to 2WD.

If the A/C compressor is cycling too often, you need to have the R-134 refrigerant level checked. A\C is used in defrost mode to remove moisture in the interior air.

Thanks, I'll try changing out the fluid in the transfer case.
What fluid do I put in it? I want to use a Royal purple product.
The a/c cycles no matter where the control is set.
This seems unnessesary when I just want some fresh air without rolling down the windows.

Consult your owners manual for all fluid recommendations and capacities. If you don't have one, you should try and find one. The transfer case uses approximately 2.5 pints of any ATF labeled Dexron III/Mercon.

Check the A/C relay, it may be stuck in the on position. Check the heat/vent/AC selector switch for damaged or shorts.

There are only 3 settings that the compressor does not run in. Floor, dash vent, and dash vent and floor.

Anything in Blue=AC
Anything with a picture of a defroster above it (far rt, 2 settings)=Defrost mode, AC runs.

The 4WD problem sounds like a simple maintance issue. Most folks buy a Cherokee, yet never use 4WD. Find the linkages on the drivers side of the trasfer case and spray them down with a nice light spray lube like CRC-1 while working them. Be sure not to use 4WD on dry pavement, as it will cause un-due wear on the transfercase and u-joints.

Hope that helps

There are only 2 settings that the compressor does not run in. Floor and dash vent.

Anything in Blue=AC
Anything with a picture of a defroster above it (far rt, 2 settings)=Defrost mode, AC runs.

fixed

at least according to the controls on my '98

Back