• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Shocks, mounting upside down?

originalxj

NAXJA Forum User
So how do most of you guys mount your rear shocks? Back in the day there was just one way, rod up, housing down with a boot over the rod. Nowadays I see a lot of folks with the rod down, housing up, no boot. The theory behind this being the boots traps water, etc.

So which is it? BTW, I already have BPE's so either way works for me.

when i bought my xj, It came with a set of Pro-crap es3000 shocks, rears were mounted upside down. I believe that style is the reason they were shot compared to the front.

My vote is to do it the original style. rod up. housing down.

Depends on the brand of shock and how they're valved. Bilstein is typically can up, rod down. ;) Flip some shocks over and they won't be worth a damn.

Rod up housing down in the front, and rod down housing up in the rear is how I run my bilsteins. I ran then the same way on my toyota, and havent had any trouble.

~James

There are different types of Bilstiens. Some may be mounted rod up I am sure. The 5150's I am running clearly says to mount them with the rod down and that is how I mount them.

In alot of forms of racing they will mount their shocks upside down to reduce unsprung weight. Probably not to important unless your running Baja/Jeepspeed/etc.

My understanding is that you can mount monotube shocks either way, but twin tube shocks mount one way (Rod up). I could be wrong, but that's what I remember.

I mounted my twin tubes upside down thinking about the unsprung weight thing, and it was like I didn't even have front shocks. Flipped them over ant they worked great.

In alot of forms of racing they will mount their shocks upside down to reduce unsprung weight. Probably not to important unless your running Baja/Jeepspeed/etc.

in offroad racing, you run remote or piggyback reservoir shocks... which have an internal floating piston between the nitrogen and the oil. this keeps the nitrogen far away from the pistons stroke. these shocks can be ran in ANY position, but usually end up shock body up for obvious reasons.

budget/oem style shocks dont have this luxury, and the gas and oil have no barrier.
basically, you dont want the shocks piston to pass thru nitrogen (a gas), it messes up valving right where you'd need it, and probably causes cavitation.. you want the piston to travel thru a consistant fluid for it to operate properly.

other things come into play... such as lubrication of seals... and obviously, mounting.

do not listen to anyone telling you to read the label, and if you can read it, its on right!
too much bad/obscure/irrelevant info in this thread... my baby mommas sista runs some bilsteins piston down as well... you should do the same...

Last edited:
do not listen to anyone telling you to read the label, and if you can read it, its on right!
too much bad/obscure/irrelevant info in this thread... my baby mommas sista runs some bilsteins piston down as well... you should do the same...

Yeah, the manufacturer is wrong. ;) Call 'em and ask. I'll wait here.

btw, more unsprung weight isnt a bad thing, it will lower your center of gravity, and might just help you stay more planted.... both good things for the dd/occasional-to-heavy wheeler...)

every single time ive ever seen a mention of which side was up, its been engraved or stamped, ive never seen that sticker.....

and for that matter, i can mount my fox'es any way i fxklcin want. so you call the mfg.

budget/oem style shocks dont have this luxury, and the gas and oil have no barrier.
basically, you dont want the shocks piston to pass thru nitrogen (a gas), it messes up valving right where you'd need it, and probably causes cavitation.. you want the piston to travel thru a consistant fluid for it to operate properly.
Yeah right!!!!

Last edited:
and for that matter, i can mount my fox'es any way i fxklcin want. so you call the mfg.

You said not to listen to anyone who said to read the label. We weren't talking about race shocks...we were talking about something with a 'boot'. If the OP were talking about race shocks I'm sure he'd either A) mention it or B) know better in the first place. ;)

i meant to not stand behind the jeep and say "i can read the label" everything is ok, which is the way i interpreted what he said.

he was inquiring which way his shocks needed to be mounted, i thought the configuration of nitrogen in the shock MIGHT be relevant...

Back