• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Fastest Build In The WORLD!!!!!! (Many Pics)

Monkey55

NAXJA Forum User
Ok. So it's not the Fastest Build In the World, but it's MY Fastest Build Ever. :D

Specs: '89, 6 cylinder, Auto, 242 transfer case, 248k miles and has rust.

History: I got the XJ back in April for pennies on the dollar. See the pics below and you'll know why. ;) I started piecing it together, however, some priorities took precedence (Little baby :D ). So, I recently made a last minute decision to swap the lift and axles from my '99 to the '89 before JV.

It passed smog with flying colors. All I did was replace the cat, muffler, gas cap, and plugs.

I call it "The Beast" because it was a PAIN IN THE A$$ to drive home. - it pulled in every direction, it was louder than a 747, it was hotter than a pizza oven, it would only make half left turns, and it smelled like butt crack. It's one tough machine. Even though it's been fighting me the whole way, I think I'm taming it. :loveu:

When I brought it home
3033324109_9ab4dca3cc.jpg

3033320481_83876f2e37.jpg

3034161838_720f3e6cc4.jpg

3034161066_afcf48951f.jpg

3033321295_ab7d6752b0.jpg

Stage 2:

3034176158_cbff276140.jpg

3033338349_59fcbeb7a9.jpg

Stage 3:
I painted it yesterday.

3034244062_5d532d1570.jpg

We had a few issues painting it - 1) The paint was really thick and it took us the whole 1st coat to get it right. 2) The paint gun gave us problems and we had to switch it out 3) I think there was water in the air compressor.

I still need to paint all the trim and smooth sand the rough spots.

Stage 4 will start tomorrow which will include a RE 4.5" Super-Flex Lift, drop brackets, HP D30 (4.56 gears), a 8.25 with a No Slip Power Trax (4.56 gears), and 33" BFG Mud Terrians. Later on during the week, I hope to lock the front and do a SYE.

Future Plans include: cage (maybe exo), half doors, removable hatch or notch back

Far Future Plans may include: Altas transfer case, frame stiffeners, winch, etc. However, who knows, by that time I may end up retiring my '99 and making that my trail rig. :dunno:

So far, it's definitely been an experience. I've been able to hone in on my wrenching skills and learns tricks to make jobs easier and quicker. Although, I can't feel my fingers anymore. :wierd:

All of this has been made possible by MANY of the SoCal Peeps. Even though there are way too many people list, I want to THANK ALL OF YOU who have helped me out with stock and modified parts. I received and purchased parts not only from the regular folks, but I also received and purchased parts from members who rarely post up.

So far, this build has gave me the opportunity to shake hands with many new faces and shoot the sh!t with the old ones too. :D Like it's been said before, members and users really make NAXJA what it is.

I hope to post more pictures of my progress, before Rockin' XJ Jamboree.

Elias
aka "E"

Looks good!

you said i would see why you got it for pennies on the dollar, i see no reason:D
it looks like an xj again, lookin good man, like that od green too....

You didn't mention it Elias but if you are removing the carpet and headliner make sure to secure the roof bows. Either glue them in or stuff some shims between them an the roof to keep them from rattling, otherwise they will drive you mad on the drive out.

now that you are to that point, put on the lift, lock it f&r, get some tubing and grab the sawzall!!!!!!!!!!!!

looking fairly good for a restore but now you are headed to JV to thrash it, OK?!?!?!

Looks good!

Looking really good Elias!

BTW, good job Elias. Looks good!

Looks great!

you said i would see why you got it for pennies on the dollar, i see no reason:D
it looks like an xj again, lookin good man, like that od green too....

crap that trucks come a LONG way.

very nice man!

Thanks guys. It definitely looks a lot better than it did before. I'm starting to really like OD Green.. :D I haven't put a whole lot of money into it, just A WHOLE LOT of elbow-grease. :repair: We literally prepped and painted about 4 coats in 8 hours.

what kinda paint did you use?

Olive Drab Green aka Military Green - :wantyou:

You didn't mention it Elias but if you are removing the carpet and headliner make sure to secure the roof bows. Either glue them in or stuff some shims between them an the roof to keep them from rattling, otherwise they will drive you mad on the drive out.

Thanks for the heads up. The carpet is already out. I'll probably take out the headliner in a few weeks.

Did you get that XJ from Peter?

Yep.. Peter.... I knew a few of you would recognize it. Mike, thanks for posting those other pics. I was really embarrassed driving it home. I felt like a :looser:

man talk about fender trimming :shocked:!

Why would someone do this to a XJ? What did this poor jeep do to him? You sir did a Great job, looks good....

Yeah, those fenders were something else.. I guess Peter would trim the fenders like that.. :dunno:

wow the beast is looking good E :thumbup:..Why you spending all that time to make it look good then take it to JV & destroy it?

I agree?????:compwork:

now that you are to that point, put on the lift, lock it f&r, get some tubing and grab the sawzall!!!!!!!!!!!!

looking fairly good for a restore but now you are headed to JV to thrash it, OK?!?!?!

Well, I couldn't have people pointing and snickering at me, could I??:dunce: I need to look good, or at least decent, for the cameras.. ;) Actually, I want a trail rig that looks decent enough to park in front of my house and to drive to and from the trail. Plus, my better half and I agreed that it would be painted before I parked it in front of our house.

As far as JV, I really don't know what trail I'm going to run. I don't think I want to bash it up so soon. :looney:

I think I'll start chopping and tubing it next summer or next winter. :D

E

Ok. So it's not the Fastest Build In the World, but it's MY Fastest Build Ever. :D

Specs: '89, 6 cylinder, Auto, 242 transfer case, 248k miles and has rust.

History: I got the XJ back in April for pennies on the dollar. See the pics below and you'll know why. ;) I started piecing it together, however, some priorities took precedence (Little baby :D ). So, I recently made a last minute decision to swap the lift and axles from my '99 to the '89 before JV.

It passed smog with flying colors. All I did was replace the cat, muffler, gas cap, and plugs.

I call it "The Beast" because it was a PAIN IN THE A$$ to drive home. - it pulled in every direction, it was louder than a 747, it was hotter than a pizza oven, it would only make half left turns, and it smelled like butt crack. It's one tough machine. Even though it's been fighting me the whole way, I think I'm taming it. :loveu:

When I brought it home
3033324109_9ab4dca3cc.jpg

3033320481_83876f2e37.jpg

3034161838_720f3e6cc4.jpg

3034161066_afcf48951f.jpg

3033321295_ab7d6752b0.jpg
what the hell did that fender do to the previous owner to deserve that? why?

Back