• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Antifreeze in right fender well

jeepinxj01

NAXJA Forum User
Problem.....I've searched, but can't seem to find exactly what I'm looking for. I'm leaking antifreeze from somewhere and it ends up all over my right fender well. Heat cuts out of course, but doesn't leak constantly. Any ideas or help would be appreciated. Thanks. :dunno:

Maybe the coolant resivoir has a hole or crack? Or it is overheating/boiling and spewing out of the spout on the coolant resivoir?
what year? I have a renix style with the surge tank, the cap always leaked, I put a hose clamp on the cap to keep it from deforming while tightening it don, and it really doesnt have to be cranked too tight

What I would do first off is clean up the area where it's appearing, and let it sit over night. If you see more coolant in the morning, I would lean towards a cracked overflow bottle.

If you see nothing in the morning, get it up to operating temperature and watch it (may take a while) to see if you can pin point where the leak is coming from.

"Heat cuts out of course"......have you looked at the hoses for the heater core that go into the firewall?

Check heater hoses and heater cut off valve for leaks.
Also, inspect the radiator. I you have a radiator leak the fan will throw it most any place.

IIRC, the overflow bottle is on the drivers side of the Jeep.

The overflow bottle is on the passenger side next to the PDC. Only one i've seen on the drivers side (atleast for a newer XJ) was on one that a guy had moved it to make room for an on board air set up.

Good point on the radiator, didn't think about the fan blowing it back everywhere.

The only thing I have checked is the oil to make sure the head is not cracked. I just didn't know where to begin to look. The fender well was completely covered with coolant.

One more thing about the heat. The other day when it started doing this, the temp gauge would go all the up and when I would turn the heat completely off the temp would go back to right at 210

There is no heater valve on your XJ, that is why it is odd that turning on the heat would make the temp go down so much. Considering that coolant is always flowing through the heater core.

Hmm what about cleaning the block and applying paste to find the leak or is that only with gas?

Back