• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

diff carrier question

garyf4848

NAXJA Forum User
Will a Dana 35 pre '97 carrier (LSD) interchange with a Post '97 carrier (open diff)

Basically what I have is a 1998 Cherokee 4ltr with an open diff which as an Aussie locker fitted and I am changing the axles for deisel ones with lower ratios but I cant interchange the Aussie from one to another so what I want to do is hopefully just change the carrier, obviously swapping the crown wheel from one to the other also

Hope this makes sense

why can't you put the aussie in? something about the axle itself or something? because the aussie can go in any ratio, doesn't matter if the carrier is for 3.07s or 4.88s, AFAIK. This is true at least for a 44, maybe there's something different about the 35s?

the carrier on a pre '97 is a closed diff which has an lsd, the post '97 has no lsd therefore the diff is an open case, basically the carrier itself is different

Back