• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Air/Fuel mixture screws?

wycowboy

NAXJA Forum User
I recently purchased a 1986 XJ with the 2.8 carburated V6. The previous owner has replaced the carb with a rebuilt unit from a parts store. The Jeep runs really well but it is a little too rich. The choke needs adjusting which I can and will do but I also feel the mixture needs leaning out too. Problem is, I can not find any air/fuel mixture screws on the carb. Does it have any? If it does, where are they?

Chris

Do you have any pics? What type of carb? It should be near the base of the carb with possibly a limiter cap. When adjusting, slowly turn the screw in until you get a 50 rpm drop, then slowly turn back out until you get another 50 rpm drop, then set it in the middle. If there are two, I usually turn one 1\8th of a turn, then the other.

Its got that Rochester 2 barrel they put on at the factory. I know HOW to adjust the screws, I just can't find the things. I've been working on engines for years and have adjusted many carbs in my time. It seems to me that they should be on the left side of the carb based on how it sits on the engine. They sure aren't on the "front" where I expect them. I can not see any limiter caps either.

Chris

I am looking through my manuals, and it appears that there is no adjustment for that carb. There is a part called the "mixture control solenoid". I do not have any experience with that particular carb, but it would appear to me that this is where to look.

Looked in a haynes manual. Looking down at the carb, with the smaller bore at 12 o'clock, there is a "idle needle and spring" in a protrusion on the base of the carburator throttle body. it's at 11/11:30next to the small bore. It may be completely enclosed, with a metal "anti-tamper"cover pressed over the screw head. The feds really made it hard to adjust these things at the end.

Yeah, I found my Chiltons and my Haynes that I bought years ago when I had an 85 XJ. I located where it is supposed to be at, now I gotta get to it. Dang Feds anyway, lol. At least the cat convertor is already gone. Gotta love living in an emissions free state.

Chris

Back